Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Hyundai Elantra GLS: I have a Hyundai Elantra 2004 which is

I have a Hyundai Elantra...
I have a Hyundai Elantra 2004 which is slow to start in the morning but usually easy during the rest of the day. Today it did not start after many tries. I read this is a common problem with Hyundais. What do I do about it?
11/25/2012
schmainkman
schmainkman, ASE Technician

schmainkman :

Hello. I am Scott, and I will be assisting you with your concern.

schmainkman :

When you say slow start, is it cranking good, and takes a while for, lets say, the fuel to get to the engine?

Good Raaa raaa raaa raaa but no rhooomm rhooom

Customer:

It tries to start sounding like it is not getting enough gas. After about 30 seconds of trying it begins to try to connect and usually, except today, does. Thereafter, for the rest of the day the car starts easily, but less quickly when there is a long period, say six hours, between driving.

schmainkman :

That does not match an "Electrical" issue, such as starter, battery or alternator. If you are cranking good, then you need to head elsewhere.

It is not uncommon for a fuel line bleed down due to either a leaky injector bleeding down into a cylinder or a fuel pump module that is bleeding down, back into the furl tank.

schmainkman :

I have run into both. Once the system is pumped up, and used "frequently" throughout the day, it will not manifest.

schmainkman :

The only way to check this is to preform a fuel system leak down test. Did your shop preform this test? It usually needs a stay over night... and I remove the plugs to look into the cylinders as well as preform another test that isolates the fuel rail and the lines to the tank to get a better result.

schmainkman :

Another issue is coolant leaking into the cylinders. It does happen if there is a head gasket issue. On cooler mornings, or sitting, the coolant will not burn off with the fuel, and usually needs to be pumped out before an extended crank time will result in a start.

schmainkman :

This will normally be noted with a rough idle that clears up, and a white smoke from the exhaust.

schmainkman :

O.K. I'm finished ranting. Any thoughts?

Customer:

I haven't noticed any white smoke from the exhaust. The car seems to runs smoothly once going.

Customer:

Is this a problem a local mechanic can usually deal with, or does it need to be done by a dealer?

schmainkman :

I would have a qualified shop preform the leak down test. I am a "Local Tech" however, it seems the shop you went to was limited by not asking enough questions. If you have issues finding a shop able to deal with this issue, save a buck and go to the dealer. They are real hungry right now, and will be glad to see you.

print this and take it with you. If the shop you went to was listening to you, they NEVER would have checked the starter and alternator.

schmainkman :

Sorry to sound so blunt, but I spend the bulk of my business day cleaning up messes from other shops.

schmainkman :

Not very profitable.

schmainkman :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

No. I just trying to figure how I get a full page of your answer to print. I don't see a print logo on this website?

schmainkman :

Not sure about that. I am a copy and paste guy.

Customer:

OK. I'll try that. Thanks.

schmainkman :

It will paste to Word, which is what I use, or Note Pad, which is a bit messy, but works.

Customer:

Could you then send that to me as [email protected] ?

schmainkman :

Your E-mail will not show up. Just Answer will not allow it. i can try something else. Wait one.

schmainkman :

or this...

<a href="http://JACUSTOMER%20cut%20and%20paste.docx" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">JACUSTOMER cut and paste.docx

schmainkman :

I am hoping one should work. It is in Word format

schmainkman :

Looks like the first one. Ignore the other two.

schmainkman :

did that work for you?

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

schmainkman :

Let me Thank you in advance for the accept and the good review. If you need me anymore on this subject, or have something to add, please use this link to get me.

schmainkman
schmainkman, ASE Technician
schmainkman
schmainkman
schmainkman, ASE Technician