tripletauto
tripletauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified master technician Over 20 years experience here to help you solve your hyundai problems
15993919

Hyundai Santa Fe SE: Back up Camera and Navigation System

I just purchased a 2012 Santa Fe SE, and feel like I need a backup camera to deal with the huge blind spot. I heard that Hyundai has their navigation system installed by a third party, and am wondering if I could purchase it cheaper elsewhere than directly from the dealer.I'd prefer to have the built-in camera system, and realize that requires the navigation system.  Thanks!

tripletauto :

hello

tripletauto :

are you wanting to stay factory radio?

tripletauto :

there are options like this which have a back up camera option

tripletauto :

there is also an option of just adding a backup camera you can get a rear view mirror with a display in the mirror

tripletauto :

let me know which way you are leaning and we can go from there

Customer:

Hi. I'm wondering if I can purchase the whole navigation system less expensively elsewhere than Hyundai.

Customer:

From what I understand, Hyundai does not manufacture it...someone else does.

tripletauto :

IT is made for hyundai but it is not a unit you can by from a store or company

tripletauto :

there are aftermarket navigation systems you can buy with back up camera that will fit your vehicle cheaper than factory

Customer:

Is there a camera I could buy that would fit the space that theirs goes in?

tripletauto :

this camera should fit and will hook into any monitor or radio that has input

tripletauto :

there are also cameras that are in a license frame

tripletauto :

that is mirror i was talking about

Customer:

When you say that it will hook into any monitor or radio that has input, does it have to stand alone from the built-in radio etc that came with our Santa Fe,

Customer:

or is there one that could replace it with all of its functions plus camera image display?

tripletauto :

the radio would have to be replaced with an aftermarket unit

tripletauto :

if you go with a hyundai nav unit and back up camera the cost on that is pretty high. and hyundai dealer is only person i know that sells it

tripletauto :

going with a pioneer,eclipse or kenwood radio you can get nav or just what they call a dvd player radio this will have the option for a back up camera and with the right installer will look nice in your vehicle. for about half the money

tripletauto :

if all you want is a back up camera then a mirror that has monitor in it may be your best option to keep costs down

Customer:

Would the camera that you suggest on rearviewsafety.com be compatible with the Pioneer AVH-P3400BH? Would the wires be compatible with each other and with anything Hyundai that they'd have to work with (RCA connector on both/all?)?

tripletauto :

YES

tripletauto :

the camera uses a rca jack and so does the radio

tripletauto :

A good installer can hook everything up

tripletauto :

if you have a local stereo shop'

Customer:

How much should I expect to pay for installation?

tripletauto :

WITH running the back up camera probably 150-200 dollars

Customer:

So the camera will look like it's 'built in' (http://www.rearviewsafety.com/accessories/hyundai-santa-fe-backup-accent.html) $99.99. The monitor will also look like it's 'built in' (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P3400BH/Pioneer-AVH-P3400BH.html?tp=5684 $399.99 Pioneer AVH-P3400BH), is Bluetooth-compatible, provides HD radio and is a DVD player. You can buy Steering control interface ($69.99) and even a navigation system (AVICU220 $399.99) that fits behind the monitor! That with installation comes to about $1150. Thanks so much!

tripletauto :

Yes the radio will be a little different but will look good