George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

2004 Hyundai Sonata: 2.7L..V6..The spark plugs..ignition coil

I'm trying to fix an error in the ignition system on a 2004 Hyundai Sonata 2.7L V6 The spark plugs and wires checked out fine, I'm planning on replacing the ignition coil to see if that takes care of it. If that fails to work, any other ideas?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.
I would not be throwing parts at it hoping that they will repair the problem,

Having a shop do one hour of diagnostic will be less expensive in the long run.

It sounds like it is ignition and you have been able to improve the problem just by reseating the plug wires on there and one half f the connections so it may be that all you need is to reseat the rear plugs as well or there may be oil back there.

The shop should be able to tell you if you need a coil or not.

Let me know how I can help you

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The rear plugs were oil free and appeared to be fine. After paying $100 diagnostic fee, I got nowhere. It's cheaper for me to replace the ignition coil than to get my current one checked out. I think that you're completely right that the problem is in the ignition system, I just don't know where to turn if a new ignition coil doesn't fix it. Do you have any ideas? Does a hyundai dealership have any better diagnostic tools than my local mechanic for diagnosing these problems?