Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Technician
3827149

Hyundai: My key will not turn..immobilizer..flashing..lights inside

I have a Hyundai Veracruz and live in Doha. My key will not turn in the ignition. The immobilizer red light is flashing and the lights inside the car are on but the key will not turn. The steering wheel does drop and stabilize but engine wil not start. please help
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Cardoctor74 replied 5 years ago.
Try disconnecting the battery with the key in the ignition for 15 minutes sometimes it will reset the immobilized system let me know .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do I do this??? Sorry to sound like a stereotype but I'm a woman and I have no idea how to go about this
Ok this is covered under warranty including the tow. You would need to open the hood and actually take a 10 mm wrench to remove the battery terminals . If you are not comfortable doing this work then have the dealer tow the vehicle and provide you a loaner car until it's fixed. These would be the next steps. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

is this the only solution. It is 9pm on a friday night and I've already had to take a taxi home. Having it towed to a dealer is no easy feat here in Doha and there is no guarantee that they will loan me a car while it is being sorted out. I'm not even comfortable that they will know how to solve it in the first place.

Other than disconnect the battery, is there anything else that i can try?

Yes remove the key then insert the key and let it sit in the on position for 15 minutes sometimes it resets. Disconnecting the battery is the best option. Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.'
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The point is that when I insert the key into the ignition, it will not turn at all. It won't even go to the AAC position, it simply will not budge. The gears are locked and won't move either.
That's do to the immobilized. You can try to spray some wd40 in the ignition and insert the key and tap the head of the key and see if it frees the ignition tumblers. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.