Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Hyundai Sonata my 2003 hyundai sonata has a starting problem

my 2003 hyundai sonata has...
my 2003 hyundai sonata has a starting problem if you turn the key it does nothing but it you turn it a dozen times it starts i replaced the ignition switch,alternator,battery,starter it didnt do it for a month now it started again not starting
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/5/2011
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Hi there! Does it click or anything or no sound at all when turning the key?
no sound but eventualy it starts takes a while though
Ok, with no sound at first, I would go after the neutral safety switch on the transmission.
It may just be out of adjustment,try moving the shifter in and out of park while holding the key in the start position and see if it improves.
Let me know!
ok i will go try it now
Ok, we need to hear at least a click on this!
does nothing wont start all light light up
I do hear 1 slight click when a turn key then nothing
Ok, do you have a test light or volt meter?
Also, does the car have a factory alarm on it?
i do have a volt meter and no there is not factory alarm i had a after market one installed but i had then disconnect the brain for it but the wires are hooked up still
Ok, you need to find the transmission range switch. This is at the end of the shift cable out on the transmission.
You need to locate and test the purple wire in the harness for power with the key in the start position(you will need a helper) then check the yellow wire for power the same way.
This will test the switch. You should have battery power on both wires when the key is in the start position.
Let me know!
is it located right next to the tranny dipstick there looks to be the shifter linkage there with a harness with a lot of wires
Yep, that is the one!
Need to locate that purple wire and test that first. Remember,battery voltage with the key in the start position.
Then run the same test on the yellow.
The purple provides the power in, and the yellow the power out. So, if you have no power in, then we work back to the ignition, if you have no power out, then this switch is replaced.
If you have both, the next step is to head to the starter relay to check for power.
Let me know how it goes!
k brb
Ok
there is power goin in but i can get a good read off yell cause theres no bare part showing
You have to make it happen.
Try this, go to the start relay in the fuse box under the hood.
Pull the relay, one slot should have contant power, then one of the others should get power when you put the key to the start position.
starter relay or ignition swith? sry not to mechanicly inclined
Starter relay, I think it is labeled start relay in the fuse box under the hood.
ok i had power as key turns also i switched the fuses from rad fan and it started then i replaced it back with the old one and it started could it be the fuse the whole time?
You swapped a fuse or the relay?
the big one i assume is the relay it says starter relay
Yes, if you swapped the relay and the car started, the relay has been the problem all along.
Just needed some testing is all.
Don't leave out the cooling fan relay however, you need that one!
Swap it for the a/c relay if they are the same until you can get a replacement relay.
well after it started i swapped bad one back in and it started again with " bad fuse" is that because it had enough juice from the start previous start with good fuse
No, that would be because you had a bad connection at the relay or possibly the switch on the transmission. Playing with the wires will sometimes reseat the connection and make it all good.
ok ill change fuses thanks for the help you saved me a ton of money and if problem presists ill be back lol thanks again dan
You are very welcome! It is why we are here!
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician