Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

2008 Hyundai Elantra: ignition switch..the steering wheel is stuck

I have a 2008 Hyundai...
I have a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. I just went to start it and the ignition switch is totally locked. Nothing is going on in the car and the steering wheel is stuck. What is this problem? Thank you. Karen
10/24/2010
Daniel, Hyundai Technician

Daniel :

My Answer is based on clues, symptoms and info in your question. Please include everything. Thanks

Daniel :

Hi Karen, Have you tried pulling steering wheel to one side to unlock the key?

Customer:

Hi Daniel, The key is not stuck in the ignition and the steering wheel is stuck in place.

Daniel :

Right the key wont turn is this correct?

Customer:

Yes. also I think my car is a 2009 and not a 2008.

Daniel :

ok the steering wheel should be willing to go one way a little bit and feel like it hits a rock the other way. pull on the steering wheel as much as you can and try the key. it should pop loose and turn.

Daniel :

Make sure your tires are not trapped against curb this will biund your steering wheel also.

Customer:

Okay. Should I try this and then email you back? Is this your only solution?

Daniel :

this is the best case senerio for you.

Daniel :

I am checking trouble service bulletins on your vehicle.

Daniel :

There are none for your issue. You can follow up with me even after accept

Customer:

I will try this solution. I am going to try this now. Thank you for all your help, and I will follow up with you either way.

Daniel :

ok thank you too and your vey welcome.

Daniel :

very

Customer:

If I hit accept does this end the chat? what do I do, its not a problem to pay you

Daniel :

yes you may hit accept, bookmark page so you can come back or just respond through a email you get from ja thread

Daniel, Hyundai Technician
Daniel, Hyundai Technician