Tamar D
Tamar D, HVAC Mechanic II / Service Tech
Experience:  HVAC/Refrigeration & Appliance Tech
17066333

I have a question regarding a Carrier fx4cnf048 furnace. No

I have a question regarding a Carrier fx4cnf048 furnace
JA: Are you getting any error codes or blinking lights on your Carrier furnace? How old is it?
Customer: No and unsure
JA: How long has this been going on with your Carrier furnace? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2 days. I've cycled the circuit breaker and that helps.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The actual problem is that the blower doesn't start - unless I cycle power at the breaker.
Please read entire message before responding

Hi there, my name is Tamar, I’ve got over 10 years in the trade and I’ll be glad to help

Please disregard any automated phone request or service requests as they are generated by the website. You do not have to accept phone requests
unless you want that service.

Please bear with my responses, I may be on the job site and there may be a little delay between messages. I will of course do my best to respond in a timely manner.
Hope you’re doing well, is this electric or gas?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Electric
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
electric
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
messaging is better
And does the fan behave this way in both heat and cool mode?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I've only tried it on heat and switching the house fan from auto to "on"
So it does it in both of those modes?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
yes
There’s only two things that can cause this;
1. The thermostat
2. The fan relay (integrated into the control board)

I have a way of testing the thermostat if you’d like to rule it out
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I was suspecting a capacitor and was surprised when I didn't see one. Thanks.
Another thing that *coild* cause it is a weak capacitor. It may be weak enough
If it doesn’t have a capacitorit’s got a variable speed motor, that opens up new possibilities unfortunately. So instead of the capacitor it could be the motor module (attached to back of motor)
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I could swap out a capacitor, but that all sounds like something I'll have to call someone to come fix.
I gotcha. If it has a capacitor then it would be worth swapping, to test the thermostat you jump r and g wire together and see if it turns on the blower
If it does consistently, the thermostat was the problem, if it doesn’t then it’s not
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok. Well, I suppose I'll start looking for someone to come fix it. This is a bit outside of my skillset.
Hopefully I was helpful, courteous and kind as that is my goal. If you have other questions feel free to ask. If you don’t mind, please take a second of your time and find the “rate your expert” option at the top of the page. Rate using the stars on the top left, that way I will be credited for answering you. (hopefully I’ve earned 5 stars) We can continue to chat after you rate, and you can ask follow up questions free of charge Thank you and have a blessed day!

-Tamar
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How do I give you a rating?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks, Tamar.
Thank you!