airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a Carrier furnace. It was installed in 2011. Every

I have a Carrier furnace. It was installed in 2011. Every fall and winter since then, when the furnace is set to heat because it is cold out, when it starts, there is a very loud screeching grinding sound that comes on. The sound scares my cat to death and I go running to shut the furnace down. It is so loud it hurts my ears. If I continue to let it screech, my thermostat shuts down. I have had people out here looking at it, but they say they can't find anything. It is MODEL 58MCB.
JA: Are you getting any error codes or blinking lights on your Carrier furnace? How old is it?
Customer: It was installed in 2011.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Carrier furnace? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have gone through this at least more than 5 years. It always happens in the cold of Autumn and through Winter. I have had it looked at but no one can find out what is really wrong.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am terrified when it gets cold out because this starts with the furnace. I never have issues with the air conditioner. I am afraid to leave the heat on when I have to go somewhere.

My name is Tim and I am happy to assist you today. Please read my entire reply before responding!

Please provide as much information as possible about the situation to help me provide as accurate an answer as possible.

Along the way you will receive an offer for a live phone call for an additional fee. We have some excellent experts who work by phone and if available one may be able to work with you by phone. I PERSONALLY AM NOT SET UP FOR ACCEPTING PHONE CALLS! The offer is optional and if you choose to work with ANOTHER expert by phone, that is fine. I will still continue to help here in chat as long as needed with no time limit. Once you accept the offer you will be billed for the additional service of a live phone call and I have no control over billing or making other experts call you. So if you do NOT want to be BILLED the additional fee, DO NOT ACCEPT or ASK for a Phone call!

Most likely the noise is coming from the small draft inducer motor.They are notorious for this.

Turn thermostat to call for heat, Then go to furnace and tell me if the noise starts immediately BEFORE igniter,burners or main circulating blower start.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I just changed the heat by 1 degree hit heat and the furnace came on and automatically started screeching a very loud noise.

You will need to replace the little inducer motor.Is this something you will do yourself or hire done?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We don't need to talk by phone.

Ignore phone off.THat is site generated offer

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I just want somebody to be honest with me and know why I am terrified in the winter.

THe issue is this little motor. THey are known for high pitched sounds and screeching. Often a contractor will say he doesn't hear anything unusual as he hears them many times a week as he service the units,.Explain that it may not bother most people but it does you and ask him to replace it.It is nothing to be terrified of because there are many safeties on the furnace should it fail but I do understand the aggrevation on hearing it.

Let me know if you have further questions. Thanks for allowing me to work with you. If you feel I have been polite, professional and thorough in answering your question, please use the five star rating button to rate my assistance. Bonus always appreciated as this is how I earn my living. After rating, feel free to follow up for next 30 days at no additional fee. Please use the stars at top of the page to do this before you go so I am credited with assisting you .Thanks again

I am here if you have further questions. Please remember to use the five stars across top of page to rate answer so question shows answered. Thanks again

Little motor is probably less than a hundred bucks wholesale.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I will hire the company that put the furnace in. I do have a family member that can install. I would rather get the company that installed the furnace.

I understand.

11 Oct 2019, 8:22 AM

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
You have made my day. You are the first person that could give me an answer. Hopefully this winter I won't be terrified.

Been a licensed hvac contractor since 1989 and in the industry sine 1974.I hated these little motors when they first started using them.Customers complained of both the high pitch noises and rocket sounds of the burners ever since the time they came to be.