Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

The fan wasn't blowing on our central air unit. had a tech

Customer Question

the fan wasn't blowing on our central air unit. had a tech come out and he said we needed a new fan motor. he left and I used a little wd40 on it and it started to work. got up this morning and now nothing is working. I don't even hear the compressor kicking in.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: thermostat is working. I get air blowing when that kicks in. are u talking about the air filter for the intake vent. if so I just replaced it about two weeks ago.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i would like to. im decent at momst things
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: most
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
model number brcs0301bb. its an airpro which i was told is the same as a coleman
Expert:  Machinc replied 4 months ago.
A bad fan motor can run a bit longer if it is allowed to cool and sprayed with WD 40
More in a moment ..
Expert:  Machinc replied 4 months ago.
This does not mean that is a fix . The motor possibly overheated during the night and tripped the breaker to the unit .
More...
Expert:  Machinc replied 4 months ago.
Check the fan before resetting the breaker .
Check for stiffness and odor .
Most motors are generic and easily replaced .
You should be able to find a replacement locally or have the technician come back if you are in a hurry .
This being July of course .
More...
Expert:  Machinc replied 4 months ago.
Make sure power to the unit is off while you are testing and workingvif you are doing it yourself .
A tripped breaker is the likely reason why nothing is working .
If the breaker trips after resetting do not try to reuse the fan .
Even if it is trying to run it could be placing a heavy load on the breaker if it is running hot . (Bad bearings etc) can be a cause but motor replacement is likely to be your solution.
More....
Expert:  Machinc replied 4 months ago.
A professional repair would likely be the fastest way to get it fixed .
If you are familiar with motors and electronics and have the time then it is not hard to do yourself .the wiring is often colors than your old motor but the functions of each color are listed on and with the. Motor .
More
Expert:  Machinc replied 4 months ago.
Photograph where everything goes and the label and color code on your old motor .
Expert:  Machinc replied 4 months ago.
If you get it professionally done the work should be warranted
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I looked at a replacement motor and it looked like all the wires were connected to a plug. Does that sound right? Also is there a breaker on the unit itself or are u talking about the box in the house. I looked at the breaker in the house and it wasn’t tripped.
Expert:  Machinc replied 4 months ago.
The unit usually has a box with a cutoff connected to the cover . Models vary
Expert:  Machinc replied 4 months ago.
Others have a mounting next to the unit and then a jumper ,foot or so of #10 or 8 feeding the air handler
Expert:  Machinc replied 4 months ago.
Find the loss of power first then persue the fan
replacement
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Machinc replied 4 months ago.
Contacts in plug could be bad also check for odor and discoloration