HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a 17 year old trane xe1000 with a compressor going…

Customer Question
I have a 17...

I have a 17 year old trane xe1000 with a compressor going bad....any repair suggestions ?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

45 days

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Unit starts out noisy then quiets down.....added some r22 oil.....helped alot

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

Still cooling but noisy

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/30/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 month ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, a 17 year old unit has too many other parts about to go bad, so that it should be replaced and you should not put a new compressor in it... it would be like doing a heart transplant on a 110 year old person

These units do not use oil, if you had to add some, then the oil had migrated from the compressor to the evaporator. IF you do replace the compressor or the entire unit, you will have to get rid of that extra oil you added if it was more than 6 or 8 ounces.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope by the time we are finished that I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Rating will not increase your charges but it is how I earn a living

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.