HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My compressor seems to be broken and my thermostat is in…

Customer Question
My compressor seems to...

My compressor seems to be broken and my thermostat is in permanent hold. But hot air is blowing through the vents. How can I turn the system off so no air comes through?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The filters are new. The thermostat is in permanent hold and locked.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, but the repairman can’t come until Thursday and I wanted to stop the flow of hot air.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Only that I haven’t got a technical bone in my body.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 2 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy. Do you know where the furnace/air handler is in your home?

Also please disregard the computer generated phone offer as it is not available

I do know. I’ll go there now. It’s at my place of business, not my home. And I’ll reeally bad with technology. ��
Okay, I’m at the furnace.

Understood.....at the blower should be a on/off switch.

OR...in the electrical panel should be a breaker...you will know when you hit the right one when blower shuts down.

I turned off the breaker marked a/c handler, but it didn’t stop the blower. I’m looking for an off switch.
I only see the red button we use to restart it when it stops. I don’t see another button.

Can you post a pic of the unit here using the attach files link?

I was actually looking for a way to do that. I must be dumber than I thought I was.

take the bottom door off.....many of these units have a kill switch behind the door that cuts power when you take door off

This thing looks older than me.

Yep that is a pretty old oil burner...see here

tell me what those wires lead to as they leave the furnace

If you undid the yellow wire nut on the black wires it would cut power..but the black coming in would still be "hot" so we want to follow that black and white to a switch