HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Setting the thermostat to cool the air conditioner comes on…

Customer Question
Setting the thermostat to...

Setting the thermostat to cool the air conditioner comes on but not the fan on the heater

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

First time

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I tried to reset the thermostat

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/28/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

If you turn thermostat to fan On instead of auto will fan come on? Also do you have a multi meter for troubleshooting?

no the fan does not come on and I do not have a multi meter

We would need a meter to troubleshoot. If you have a meter let me know .If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

I will not get a multi meter if I am only going to use it once will you please try to direct me on this matter?

Without a meter about all you can do is look at the capacitor and see if it looks puffy or is leaking and that fan wires are all connected.

If those are ok, the issue is either a bad control board (Not sending power to motor) or a bad fan motor.

Since we can not "see" electricity, you can invest 15 bucks in a meter to troubleshoot, invest 100 bucks in calling a technician with a meter or start replacing parts. The motor is a couple of hundred as is control board.

Which would you like to do?