HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Carrier Tech 2000SS that isnt working. I tried it…

Customer Question
I have a Carrier...

I have a Carrier Tech 2000SS that isnt working

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I tried it three days ago- first for the season and didnt work

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I want to learn all I can then get the best person to do the work. What I dont want is to be taken advantage of and being forced to buy a new unit if I dont need that

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

Therostat is working. I just cleaned the filter- it was loaded with dust

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It worked fine last year. this was the first time I used it this year.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
I have a scheduled "summer tune up" tomorrow with a technician. What do I ask him to check? How do I know if he is trying to push the sale of a new unit? Can parts be bought for this? where is best place to hire someone to do the work for installing the part(s)?
serial # 4400E00514
model # 38TRA024320
5/28/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Have him check refrigerant charge, capacitors, cleanliness of coils, air flow electrical wiring and amp draw on motors and compressor. All parts are still available should you need them.

Thank you for your reply. Where can parts be gotten from ? (just in case he plays dumb)

MOst local suppliers .If not you can get them online.Below is an example of an online supplier.Feel free to show him the link:

https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/a41b370d1183812/Model-38TRA024320-Carrier-Central-Air-Conditioner-Parts

Thank you! Now I am now looking forward to tomorrow. I will post after the tech leaves and let you know how it goes. ;)

LOok forwad to hearing back.When we are finished please remember to rate answer.

Yesterday the AC guy came.. He did some test at the unit and saw that it had power and ran, so then he tested the freon and found it very low. He said my unit needed 5 lbs of freon. His charge for freon was $225 for the first 3 lbs and then a $100 for each pound after. For a total of $425 for the freon. Once done he says: "Lets hope no leaks". I asked what would happen if it leaked? He says would have to do it all over again but this time add in a stopleak. I said cant we add a stopleak now? He said it had to be done in the beginning. Does this sound legit?