HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Ive got a goodnan tstatg2100 thermostat that is only showing…

Customer Question
Ive got a goodnan...

Ive got a goodnan tstatg2100 thermostat that is only showing 2 dashes on the digital readout where the temp is normally displayed. This is the upstairs control and blowing air but not cooling... i took a look at capcitor in outdoor unit because it seems fan isnt turning... havent ordered new one yet though

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filters are good recently replaced... and this thermostat wont let me do anything but turn to heat or cool.. cant adjust temp because of dasges on screen

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Id like to try but depends on what is needed... i figure i can change the capcitor if needed and the thermostat if needed... thinking about taking the down stairs thermostat upstaurs to see what happebs because downstairs is working fine

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think thats it... wgen i look at capacitor it isbt bulging or anything... and dont have a tester so was planning to order a new obe to replace it since its cheap

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/28/2018
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 2 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

I would look at the circuit board in the furnace for a small fuse...this can blow if any damage to the outside wiring (thermostat wire that runs with piping)

Or you can get me a pic of the current circuit board and I can direct

Its a heat pump as opposed to a furnace

There should be a circuit board in air handler (depending on age).

I was able to check that fuse and it was not blown. At the outside unit it seems the signal is making it to the unit but the contactor doesn't engage unless you push it in manually, when I do that the fan and compressor start up. I ordered a piggy back capacitor thinking it might be that but now I'm not so sure. The thermostat doesn't have the dashes now, i just unplugged it and plugged it back in. I guess that problem was just from messing with the thermostat some and not having it seated correctly. Not sure where to go next, i can replace the contactor, but not sure that the problem might not be something else that is preventing the contactor from working.
when i say the signal is making it, i mean that i can hear a buzz when the air is turned on.. not constant just like an attempt at starting the system