HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I just bought a 220 volt window AC from sears today. Big…

Customer Question
Hi. I just bought a...
Hi. I just bought a 220 volt window AC from sears today. Big mistake, cause I only had a 110volt outlet. Wasn't paying attention. Fortunately, just through an interior wall located adjacent to the window is a 220 volt outlet used for the clothes dryer. I decided to unhook the dryer temporarily and get the AC running. I bought the correct size outlet for the AC, 20 amp. However, I know the wire I used is extremely light. It was taken from a heavy extension cord, but i'm certain not heavy enough. Was just wanting to get through 1 very hot night with it. However, the compressor will not come on. The fan runs, but not very fast. Could this just be because it is connected to a 40 amp breaker with wire that is much too light? I did unplug the unit because I don't want to burn alive tonight. Just wondering what I need to do to rectify the situation. Wondering if it sounds like the AC has a bad compressor. I realize I need to call an electrician or HVAC person to take care of this. My husband was a HVAC tech. He passed away from cancer and I'm very short on cash right now so am trying to take care of the kids and I without calling someone. Thank you.
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: HVAC
5/28/2018
HVAC Technician: Machinc, General Contractor replied 27 days ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
The easiest and safest thing is to take the AC unit back to Sears and get a 110v unit .
More...
They should take it back with no problems.
The 110 v units work great and you won’t need an electrician to hook it up.
Never use an extension cord on an air conditioner.
Sorry you had all that trouble but you should be ok with the 110 v unit
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I'm sure you are right. Easier said than done though. That thing is HEAVY.
HVAC Technician: Machinc, General Contractor replied 26 days ago
You can do it !
Girls rule !
HVAC Technician: Machinc, General Contractor replied 23 days ago
I know it’s heavyvbut you really need to take it back and go with a 110 v ac unit . It will be lighter also