HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

1.5 ton system brand new, lineset length is 60feet,

Customer Question
1.5 ton coleman system...

1.5 ton coleman system brand new, lineset length is 60feet, subcooling is 3 superheat is 72, suction pressure 40 head pressure 220 factory charge is 5 ibs 11 oz, added 1 ib 6 oz for lineset length, even with low sc and high sh addding refrigerant makes no difference to pressures, it was doing this before and tech support diagnosed compresssor bad, replaced outdoor unit and system is doing the same thing, indoor txv has already been replaced as well, coils are both clean and static pressure is .4. what could be left?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

All that has been checked

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes i need advanced refrigeration advice

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: HVAC
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
with the suction pressure and my subcooling and super heat numbers I tried adding additional refrigerant and the pressures didnt move, so now system has 9ibs 11 oz in it, my llt is 75 and slt is 66 it was 71 degrees outside
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
80 return
5/27/2018
HVAC Technician: hvacdave84, HVAC Technician replied 27 days ago
hvacdave84
hvacdave84, HVAC Technician
It sounds likenyou may be flashing in the liquid line due to the long lineset. Is there a sight glass anywhere close to the evaporator? Also, has the lineset been replaced when the new equipment was installed or was their old lineset re-used?
is this 410a? I assume so with it being brand new but your pressures are more consistent with R22
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
no sight glass,everything is new well about a year old now
we have other units on the basement of this building working just fine this is on the second floor
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
410
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
lineset has been blown through with nitrogen both directions to insure no restrictions in the lineset as well
Now that you’ve got 9lb in the unit, what are your pressures and line temps?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
those were the pressures after the additional refrigerant
What this SOUNDS like to me is a TEV issue. But if that has been tried and the condensing unit has been replaced per tech support recommendation, it is likely that it is not. I am Lead Technician at my company. If one of my guys were calling me with this issue, I would have them Record ALL airflow parameters, dry bulb and wet bulb temps, voltages, anything that could be a variable from what the system was designed for, and then, recover the charge, weigh in factory spec charge, (not adding anything for lineset length) check indoor unit to be sure no ice or frost needs to be melted from evaporator, and then run the unit. Attempt to charge it from factory charge by manufacturers spec sheet for subcooling for your specific unit. If you weigh in factory spec yourself, and then reach the recommended additional amount while just trying to bring your subcooling to spec. Don’t go over it.While if this system were 20 years old, we could go through hell changing this and that to try and bring things in line, the fact is that you shouldn’t have to and wouldn’t want to with new equipment.
The next step would be to call your supplier and explain to them that all you can do as a technician, especially with the consideration of not invalidating the warranty, is follow the manufacturer’s instructions, and that you have done that to a T, and cant afford to let your customer continue being disappointed. Request that they send a field Representative to evaluate the situation. Let the field rep take a look, and respectfully ***** ***** they either give you a reasonable diagnosis and plan for repair, or replace the system (the entire system)