HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I hope so. I am installing a Honeywell 24/7 thermostat and…

Customer Question
I hope so....

I hope so. I am installing a Honeywell 24/7 thermostat and have labeled all my wires. I have a relatively new hvac in the home I recently purchase and have a question of wires. when removing the previous Honeywell thermostat, I found wires R, RC, W, G & C but no Y. the manual instructs to wire up R, RC, G, W and Y but not to use C. my question is will this set up work without a y connection.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

More of a concern for the thermostat connectivity.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: HVAC
5/27/2018
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 22 days ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

Can you tell us if the home has gas furnace with ac, heat pump etc?

Also disregard computer generated phone offers as that option is not currently available.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
gas with ac

Thank you,

so for wires you have available:

red

white

green

blue?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
red- RC, green-G, white-W, yellow- R, blue- C which instructions say to wrap off the bare wire and not use

the blue (in the absence of yellow) becomes Y terminal. But it should not have been on C.

If all you have is red, white, green, blue..

You would have red to rc/rh

white to w

green to g

blue to y

Very simply if no wire was on Y terminal there would be NO cooling option.

Can you check something at the furnace for me?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
that's pecular, since the blue wire was not actual connected inside the wall and i hah ac before. in anycase, at the furnace

Ok the basic wires are this

we need one to deliver 24 to thermostat. This red. (rc/rh)

we need one for heat- this white (w)

we need one for blower/fan - this is green (g)

So there are 3 wires just to have heat and fan.

If you can remove the furnace doors I can see right a way what the deal is....but with nothing on Y you could not have had cooling. Take doors off furnace and take a pic and post here and I can tell

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
i do have a yellow wire that was previously on the R terminal at the thermostat

Someone has done something "different" with the wiring at some time then as that does not follow color code for function.

If you can get a pic of the circuit board in furnace I can tell better

ok can you tell which of those cables goes to the thermostat?

I am sorry to drag this out but yours is not the standard color code or arrangement..especially if you have had ac without a wire on Y terminal in thermostat

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
nope... 2 separate floors and wrapped between the floors... smdh... this should have take... 10-15 minutes... I hate previous owners that jury-rig major systems.

do you have more than one thermostat in the home? Maybe a zoned system?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
nope I wish i did but sadly no

Ok,

well we know (hopefully what 2 wires are for sure....take the red wire and green wire and touch together and tell me if the fan/blower starts.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
will i need to turn on at the circuit breaker first?

yes...but the wires at thermostat are only 24 v so no danger

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
ok, 1 minute

and...tell me what color wire was on what terminal for all wires including the yellow...and let me know what was loses and not used in old thermostat

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
blower fan started .Old terminal red- RC terminal, yellow wire to R terminal these two were jumpered,green-G terminal, white-W terminal, blue- C terminal. new terminal had all connections previous connections except C terminal connection
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Yellow was not connected in old thermostat

ok next test

red wire to white wire....tell me what kicks on and runs

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
nothing

are we sure the furnace is gas and not electric?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
definitely gas... just as the water heater next to it

well....

red to white should bypass the thermostat and do a direct call for heat to furnace.

So the furnace should have started when red to white.

You have a unorthodox situation there.

This will require tracing the wires to the end points, which may be tedious....coming from the outdoor ac should be 2 wires.

These 2 wires should meet up with the thermostat wires.

Maybe if you could post a pic of the entire furnace I may be able to direct without having a service call...

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
did you receive photo / video

no. If photo attach with the attach files link. If video I need a link

HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 21 days ago

I have to go offline for awhile...the best I can tell you is to mimic the wire colors you find attached at other end of thermostat wire at the furnace circuit board.

I will respond as soon as I log back on.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
dont think i have the tools for thatok, thank

were you able to remove the furnace door?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
ok

did you get the doors off the furnace or did you decide to go a different route?

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer