HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Nest wiring diagram. Today, but the issue started before the…

Customer Question
Nest wiring diagram Contractor's...

Nest wiring diagram

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Today, but the issue started before the new thermostat. I just bought the house and I worry there was a problem prior with the thermostat wiring. In fact the fuse was blown, but the previous thermostat didn't register it

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Would like to know if given the model#, whether the wiring diagram for a thermostat was available for download I have a ton of manuals, but can't find anything on that

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

The new thermostat is already installed. I first got an error on the R line, which was due to the blown fuse Now I'm getting an error on the blue line. Was wondering if it should be mapped to C instead of O/B

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of. Unit is fairly young. Have the model and serial # too if that helps

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
Trane Model #: GAM5A0A18M11SAA
5/27/2018
HVAC Technician: hvacdave84, HVAC Technician replied 2 months ago
hvacdave84
hvacdave84, HVAC Technician
Due to the fact that the installers can configure wiring differently from the thermostat to the furnace, the wiring diagram for the furnace will not help in this instance. What should be done is to go to the furnace, (turn the breaker off) remove the doors on the front, locate the control board, there will be a thermostat wiring strip. Several screws with thermostat wires attached, that are usually labeled similar to the terminals on your NEST base. (R,W,Y,G,C, etc) make note of which colors are on what terminals. If you only have 4 wires, it is likely that the blue wire will be attached to “Y”. If this is the case, wire it the same at the thermostat. If you have 5 or more wires, simply connect them the same at the thermostat as they are at the furnace. If there are only 4 wires ATTACHED, but other wires not attached, and nothing is attached to “C” choose a color to attach to “C” from the unused wires and attach that wire to “C” at the thermostat. If you have any questions after looking at the furnace, let me know
Also, you will likely see a separate set of two wires, usually a red and a white, with one on “Y” and one on “C”. These run to your outdoor A/C unit and should not be modified, and should not be considered when mapping which wires go where at the thermostat.
Thanks. I'll definitely take a look. I was able to get it running and now getting cool air, but still seems to shut down to frequently. Trying some nest setting as I worry it is some type of feature that prevents it from running continuously.