HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

How do I leave the fan on during the summer on a TM9E

Customer Question
How do I leave...

How do I leave the fan on during the summer on a TM9E furnace?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yup, of course.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, it used to be real easy before I got the new furnace.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am using the furnace to re-cycle air during the cooling season. My home has an inside wall-mounted cooling unit in the stairwell.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
5/26/2018
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 2 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

Hello, and I am sorry for the delay.

Does the thermostat have have a FAN/ON/AUTO switch?

it is an electronic Honeywell WiFi thermostat (model RTH6580) but part of the problem is the wiring. The house was built in the mid-50's so it had an old mercury switch thermostat with two-wire (RGW control wiring. I didn't have time to replace the control wiring when the old furnace died in January 2017 so I skipped it. And suffered through last summer. The easiest solution is probably to install the correct control wiring.But, being lazy, I am looking for a work-around.

Ok , you could do this...but you would need to swap a wire in the thermostat for the summer or until you replace the wire.

In thermostat move the wire on W to G

In furnace move the wire on W to G

Then the fan switch will work for ON position.

Billy

Are you there?