Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My cental air is not working in my home. the unit outside is

Customer Question

my cental air is not working in my home. the unit outside is running , but no air is coming out of my vents
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: replaced the batteries in the thermostat and replaced the filters. the unit outside just runs and no air is coming out of the vents in the house.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes if at all possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, the air was fine last night. i went to the breaker box and flipped the air conditioning breaker and still no air, i did that just now
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what do you think the problem is?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can someone please call me at(###) ###-####
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

Hello, go to the unit outside and locate the two copper tubes attached to it, if the one covered in black rubber insulation is frosty or iced then the problem is that the cooling coil mounted next to the furnace is covered in a solid block of ice and that is blocking the air flow,

.

If thats the case turn power to the outside unit off and let the fan inside keep running, wait 4 or 5 hours, that will allow the ice to melt,

.Cause of icing are:

1. Dirty air filter or dirty cooling coil

2. Running the system with the thermostat set below 72F at night when it is cool outside.

3. System slightly low on refrigerant

Or a combination of all 3.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope by the time we are finished that I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Rating will not increase your charges but it is how I earn a living

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.