HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I want help in correctly diagnosing a problem with an

compressor of a Goodman 2...
I want help in correctly diagnosing a problem with an compressor of a Goodman 2 ton heat pump.
5/14/2018
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

I will be happy to help. What are you trying to determine?

I’m having the compressor replaced by Goodman under warrantee
I need to make sure that is absolutely the compressor so I don’t end up returning product that doesn’t actually have a problem

OK and how can I assist?

Are they saying it has open windings, is short to ground or internally broken or seized?

I need you to walk me through the steps on how to make sure that I’m diagnosing a correctly the fact of the compressor is going out
All I’m getting is a buzzing on the outside condenser the fan is working but there’s of course no pressure or any action from the compressor

OK let's start by checking the windings,. Have your meter ready?

I’m not even at the job site yet
I was trying to line up a resource to make sure when I got there I actually had some account on

Turn power off and remove all three wires from compressor.

Set meter to ohms or continuity.

PLace the leads on any two comp terminals at a time and we should get a reading between any two, and all three. If so windings are not open so that is good.

Next touch a lead to each terminal and other lead to a known ground. We should not get a reading.If we do, compressor is short to ground.

I am in and out all day When do you expect to be there?

Not for at least 2 hours

CHeck what I have told you.I will check in every now and then to see what you find. Also make sure the capacitor is good.If you don't have a capacitance tester take a new cap along with you.

I’m at the site finally. Are you available?

Yes

Set meter to ohms or continuity.

Did it and it all comes back as good
The breaker in the box was a 20 AMP and the units calls for a minimum of a 25 AMP
I checked both legs at the disconnect and I was getting 120 from both sides

Take a look at capacitor and see if it looks puffy

https://i.imgur.com/xwlfLe8.png

We just put everything back together and the new breaker popped again
I put in a brand new capacitor

OK if breaker is tripping and cap is good, the compressor is mechanically seized.

Even though we have continuity on all the windings?

Continuity shows that windings are good,

We are swapping out the capacitor just in case

Does your meter read capacitance?

I don’t have the specialty meter to read the capacitor

I would get a capacitance meter or take the cap in and verify good.Then is still tripping has to be seized.

Could the contractor be bad?

Not if fan is working.Didn't you say earlier that outdoor fan would run?

the outdoor fan will run

THat tells us contactor is letting voltage through

The fan was on low speed but Uncle we pushed in the capacitor the fan came on fully
If I replace the compressor, do I also have to flush the system out once I put in the new compressor
I forgot to say the I was hearing a hummmmm

Yes and I would install virgin refrigerant

Should I cut out all of the original filter dryers?
There are (2) in the system

Re[lace liquid line drier.Remove and omit suction drier

The blue ones should be replaced in this case

Could the system be air locked?

No

The band on the bottom is a crankcase heater to keep the oil warm in winter months.

Thank you for your patience with me
Do you even believe that a system with a bad compressor should be saved or just replaced ?

If doing yourself, replacing is not too bad but if paying it might not be worth it.

I have been thru HVAC classes at the local community college and I have my EPA card and can buy my own equipment. Now I’m getting the real hands on experience.

You will do fine.

We can close this session. You have been a great help

Thanks for letting me work with you.When we are finished if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician