HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Just a few hours. I have an FEM2X3600A 3 ton heat pump. in…

Just a few hours...

Just a few hours. I have an FEM2X3600A 3 ton heat pump. in the cool mode the circulation fan runs but the outdoor fan at the coils doesn't so it's just circulating house air but not cooling it.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes. Setting is at 74, temp is 79. Filter was in need of cleaning. I pulled it and haven't replaced it.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible. I was just looking for manuals when your window popped up. I have some electrical experience but no HVAC. I'm an EE.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Sure, given a schematic or picture, I can check for signal or power. Don't have any spares parts on hand.

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/11/2018
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

does the compressor run in the outdoor unit or nothing happens at all in the outdoor unit?

Hi, nothing happening in the outdoor unit.
Did I lose the connection?

sorry had a glitch

do you have a voltmeter?

At the outdoor unit we need 2 things...220v main supply...and then a 24v signal from the thermostat.

Can you tell me what power is at unit? or post pics so I can draw test points?

give me a few minutes to check at the disconnect

Standing by

couple of blown 40a fuses. I don't see any burned wires or pcbs. The logic module indicates an "alert" and a "trip." Not sure what blew the fuses. Got an ohms range to look for on the motor leads?

The ohms will only be needed if we have a slow draw...this is 2 fuse which means a surge or dead short.

Do you know how to ohm the compressor windings?

not to each other but to ground

I think so there's a schematic on the cover. I'll see if I can pick out the correct leads and come back with some values.

you can ohm from the contactor side opposite of incoming power. One meter lead to ground and one lead to power wire

when looking for a dead short use the tone feature on meter so when test leads touch it emits a tone.

Then when testing anytime you hear a tone it is dead short

Start winding measures 1.6 Ohms. Power windings, fed from L1, L2 are reading dead short on the 200 ohm scale of my Fluke.
Sounds like bad news. burnt up compressor motor? there's an internal thermal switch. think it failed?

Then you have a bad compressor...which is not good. Now you need to decide to replace compressor or the condensing unit itself...if it went on thermal it would warp open...your windings have contacted the shell

Sorry for such news.

This is equivalent to blowing a motor in a car...is the age and condition worth it?

I wish you the best

Yah, makes sense. I'll have to make a decision. Thanks for the help. Might have found my way to the same conclusion but not nearly so quickly. You were very helpful. A great service!

You are very welcome. Have a good weekend and to close just rate service ( 5 star system)

Thank you

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech