HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have Amana PBH093G35CB. With fuse on main board. What do I…

I have Amana PBH093G35CB...

I have Amana PBH093G35CB. With blown fuse on main board. What do I need to check?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

You have exact model and it is 21 months old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. Changed board thinking got surge. New board dies inlike3 seconds when plugged in.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Have 3 amp fuse pigtailed on board. Have transformer plugged in and control board unplugged fuse is holding.

5/10/2018
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

It could be a short or bad 24vac control device anywhere in the system. You will need a multi meter to do some tests

.

If any of this is beyond your skill sets, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city and I will locate a well rated service outfit in your area and run them through my own screening process for you.

.

If you would like me to train and coach you to a full diagnosis and repair yourself, and have a multi meter and considerable mechanical skills, rate this answer positively and I can do that for you without any time limits.

.

That way I do not loose my shirt helping you.

.

$25phone calls are 100% optional but will speed up the training,coaching and troubleshooting process in most cases.

.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) tome.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks, click here please, disconnect each of the items circled in red, if the fuse does not blow, plug each back in one at a time, when the fuse blows, and if the fuse is in the 24vac control circuit... that item will need to be replaced.

If the fuse blows before you plug any of the red circled items back in, its a 120vac fuse... and the short would be in the board, or one of the fan motors or the compressor.

.

I do not see the fuse on the wiring diagram, am I missing something? Let me know more about where the fuse is located.

We can go from there

This is replacement board that had blown fuse. New board blew fuse just 3 seconds into being plugged up. Have display unplugged, and 3amp fuse is holding. Picture here is main board. Fuse is in top right. New sensors cam with the new board.
I’ve had 50+ years as appliance/HVAC tech. But with nothing more than that diagram. It gives not much to track or deep trouble shoot.

That looks to be a grossly different board than the original, and with its own on board transformer ... if it is different then that would be an issue... making it difficult to trouble shoot.

Try unplugging all connections to the board ... put an amp meter in series with the fuse that blows, then plug in each item one at a time while monitoring that amperage, when you see it surge close to the fuse rating that will be the short circuit

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer