HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Changing thermostat. Home 2.5 ton heat pump with aux heat.

Changing thermostat Contractor's Assistant:...

Changing thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Home 2.5 ton heat pump with aux heat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Thermnostat display went bad replacing a braeburn with a new honeywell

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really, seems pretty simple but have a question my braeburn has a E/W1 with white wire in it, also jumpered to W2

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/8/2018
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Tell me model on both and what wires you had to each terminal on old and I can tell you where to put them on new

The E brings heat strip on in emergency heat and the W2 brought it on as auxillary heat alongside the heat pump.

If you have a W2, the white wire will go there and jump to aux

Ok, i'll give you a sec to review
I read ur previous port but W2 (AUX) seem to be a single slot. What about the E(Y2), and W slots? nothing in them?
Wait, I think I see a pattern...the W(O/B) would be the orange wire from the braeburn, and the white would go to W2(aux) and jumper over to Y2(E)
are you there?

Got called away.Give me a minute to look over your pics and replies

Wire as follows:

OLD to NEW

R--------R(jumper to RC)

O--------O/B

C----------C

Y-----------Y

E/W1 to E with jumper to AUX

G to G

that's exactly how I did it. It appears to be working...thank you

Then is setup menu choose the following
0170 - 7 (Heat pump: Heat pump with backup or auxiliary heating
0180 - 1 (Electric heat: Use this setting if you have an electric heating system )
0190 - 0 (Heating changeover valve: Use this setting if you connected a wire labeled “B” to the O/B terminal )
0240 - 9 (Electric furnace: Electric heating systems.)
0270 - 9 (Electric furnace: Electric heating systems.)

Any other functions are at your discretion.
If any functions listed do not show available, this means thermostat has setup based on a previous selection..Let me know if you need help doing this.

If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.When we are finished if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician