HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I purchase a honeywell wifi thermostat, but I have a heat…

I purchase a honeywell...

I purchase a honeywell wifi thermostat, but I have a heat pump. trying to figure out the wiring. it seems that the W wire now goes to O/B, but not sure where the W2 wire goes. When the new thermostat calls for AC, it comes out with heat

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

RTH8580WF is the honeywell wifi

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

When the new system was installed, the HVAC guy used a honeywell and wired it for a conventional. it words fine, but I want to add the wifi feature

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I'm doing the work

5/5/2018
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. Wiring code for the thermostat should be Red to R Blue to C Yellow to Y1 Orange to W/o/b (white) W2 to Aux/e Green to G

I have same thermostat. The terminal letters on outside are for heat pump. You will need to go into installer setup and set for heat pump with aux heat. Russ

gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
No, didn't help. I have no orange wire. Here's the story--At the end of last summer, I had my two AC units replaced with two, 16 seer heat-punps.
I also had two Honeywell THD110D1006 thermostats installed.
We wanted to add multiple programming and wifi capability to our home HVAC, so I purchased two Honeywell RTH8500 WiFi series thermostats.
When I set out to change the first one, I noted that my HVAC guy had wired it for conventional AC and not for Heat Pump.
I had him return (he’s a friend from church) to help me figure out the heat pump wiring. We tried it as illustrated in the manual, however, when the thermostat called for cool, only warm air was returned.
Nothing we did changed that behavior.As I researched, I found many illustrations for an 8-wire configuration, but it took more research to find a wiring diagram for the 6-wire configuration that I had.
I wired the thermostat for heat pump wiring as follows:
RED to RH/RC uses a jumper
Blue to O/B
Green to G
White to AuxE
Yellow to Y
Brown to C
However, the call for cool, still only produced warm air.
I see in the manual, under System Setup that Function 0170 have options for changing the settings for Heat Pump. I am not certain which to use.
I need some help/insight --- Am I missing something?
I’m also having difficulty connecting the wifi to my home wifi network, but I’m convinced I will get that to work.
oops....sorry for the poor grammar. I didn't proof-read my post. Function 0190 also has settings for heat pump, but not sure which to use their either.
Thanks.

Do not worry about 190 that is setting reversing valve.