HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Isavailable?

Is Brian HVAC Guy available?...
Is Brian HVAC Guy available?
5/3/2018
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician

I am! Hi Laura, how are you today? What can I do to help?

Hello, How are you? I'm doing well, thank you.
Sorry for the delay!
We have a mildew type smell coming from our Vehicle A.C
after the winter season.
Is there a d.i.y way to eradicate this?
Im also concerned about the quality of the air entering the van(bacteria that comes with smell).
Thank you

I'm doing fine, thanks for asking!

Without tearing into the dash and taking things apart, your only remedy is to use an odor mitigating product. Standard original Lysol brand spray can do wonders sprayed into the intake on the floor while the blower is running. There are also enzymatic products available that can neutralize odor by attacking the source. Nilodor is a great company with many products for odor mitigation. This Nilodor Product would be a good choice to use in place of the Lysol and will likely do a better job.

Let me know if you have further questions about this.

Thanks,

Brian

I will give that last product a try.
I dont quite understand what the intake on the floor is.

I'm so sorry Laura, I missed your response. On modern cars, vans and trucks, the "intake", which is comparable to the "return air" vent in your home, is at the very bottom rear underneath of the dash and may or may not have a plastic duct that is very near the floor where your feet go. If you turn your blower on high and have the mode set to blow out the dash vents (ac mode), you can look around and feel around the passenger foot area and you will find where the intake to the climate control system is. That's where you want to spray the odor control.

Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Thank you Brian.
Will ask for you again