HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

HAVE A GOODMAN 4 TON 16 SEER VARIABLE SPEED HEAT PUMP WITH A…

HAVE A GOODMAN 4...

HAVE A GOODMAN 4 TON 16 SEER VARIABLE SPEED HEAT PUMP WITH A 15 KW HEAT STRIP. USING AN APRILAIRE 8620W TSTAT. AIR HANDLER MODEL MBVC2000AA-1, CONDENSER MODEL GSZ160481, HEAT STRIP MODEL HKA-15CB. HAVING TROUBLE FIGURING OUT THE LOW VOLTAGE WIRE CONNECTIONS FROM TSTAT, TO AIR HANDLER TO HEAT PUMP

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

THE UNIT HASN'T BEEN WIRED UP YET THE ELECTRICANS DON'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND CONTROL WIRING

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

NO, I ALREADY PAID TO HAVE IT DONE AND HAVE DONE DUCTWORK FOR 25 YEARS AND HAVE AN UNDERSTANDING OF MOST OF THE SCOPE OF WORK TO BE DONE

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

WORKING ON HOW BEST TO PHRASE THE QUESTION 'IT WILL TAKE A FEW MINUTES AND THEN I'LL SEND IT

5/1/2018
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

I will be happy to help. Give me a few moments to type

Thermostat---------------------A/H------------------Outdoor
R with jumper to RC-------------R-----------------------R (THis is 24 v power)
Y-----------------------------------------------------------Y (This signals first stage compressor in outdoor unit)

Y2 --------------------------------------------------------Y2(This controls 2nd stage compressor in outdoor unit)
W----------------------------------W---------------------W (This controls ist stage heating elements)

W2 -------- -----------------------W2------------------ W2 (second stage elements)
C------------------------------------C-----------------------C (This is 24 v common)
G------------------------------------G (This controls indoor blower)

O-------------------------------------------------------------O (This controls reversing valve)

Then in the installer setup select the following

01-Heat Pump

02-Fahrenheit

03-O

05-Two

06-Two

07-Electric

The outdoor heat pump only has 5 wires blue, white, orange, blue/pink, and red you have 7 wires going to it
Having a very bad time with my phone, just ope ed up your figure 10 drawing the "w1" wire in the condenser is the only wire i don't have a place for in the condenser

Labeled [email protected] in outdoor. It connects to white going to heat strips so they come on when outdoor goes into defrost

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
I HAVENT FINISHED WITH THIS PROJECT I WILL RATE YOU AS EXCELLENT. ON MY EQUIPTMENT THE HEAT STRIP WAS NEVER HOOKED UP . THE 220 IS DIRECTLY INTO THE AIR HANDLER. ALL THE LOW VOLTAGE WILL BE HOOKED UP. MY QUESTION IS CAN WE FORGET ABOUT THE HEAT FOR NOW - AND WILL THE VARIABLE SPEED AIR CONDITIONING WORK UNTIL I FIND HVAC PEOPLE I CAN TRUST