HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Carrier 58RAV090-115LC that won't stay lit. I just…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. I have...

Hi Pearl. I have a Carrier 58RAV090-115LC that won't stay lit. I just had a new roof put on and my furnace hangs horizontally from the roof rafters, so I'm sure it got jostled. Anyway, at first, all 4 burners would come on, then I could see the bottom two oscillating from being lit to not being lit. After about 5 seconds of this, the furnace would kill the gas valve and the flames would go out. The flames would light I heard hissing and found a leak in the flex connection. Put a new one one.

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a roofing professional yet?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I found a leak in the flex connection and fixed that this morning. Now all 4 burners light consitently but the gas gets cut about 20 or so seconds after the house blower turns on. I cleaned the flame sensor, but believe it was working due to the gas getting cut when only 2 burners were active.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The purge blower seems to be running just fine. I've reset all the limit sensors (although none seem to have needed it). I haven't checked for exhause pipe blockages, since that check must have passed to have the flames run until the house blower turned on.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
4/4/2018
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 4 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy.

You will likely get a computer generated offer for a phone call but I am not set up for that currently so disregard.

There is a light on the circuit board visible through a small view port in the blower door..what does this light do when it shuts down?

No view port. I have the side panels off and can see the LED just fine. I get a 34 code. I have cleaned the flame sensor, and now the flame is on long enough for the house circulation blower to start and run for 20-25 seconds. I believe the flame is sensed or this wouldn't happen. Is that right?
I'm good with this interface as I'm now at work and will be able to communicate from either here or home via this chat.

was any wiring compromised...like the ground to furnace maybe?

Also, I might add, that I check how the flames going into the heat exchanger look every fall when I first start up the furnace. They look the same as they always have now that I've fixed a small leak in the flex connection.

and adding to the ground question....is the flame staying in contact with the flame sensor consistently?

I will check the GND to furnace when I get home. Do you know exactly where the GND line connects to the furnace?
To answer your last question, I noticed the flame may be pulling away from the venturi a bit, but the sensor is always in blue flame.

The ground is in the main supply to the furnace. Hot, neutral and ground

Thanks. I'll check it. I can also connect a current meter up to the flame sensor to see what it's doing after the blower turns on. That should tell me if that's what's shutting the system down. If the gas is lighting past the flame sensor, does that mean there's too much air flow through the venturi?

The best way to check is to actually use a manometer and attach to recessed allen head test port on leaving side of gas valve. If natural gas we want 3.5 " wc...if propane 10.5" wc.

Just doing a roof should not have changed microamps on the flame sensor...but if the ground was compromised...it will act like a dirty flame sensor.

Agreed.

keep me posted on what you find.

Hi Billy.All 3 wires that come in from the power line are connected. The bare copper wire is connected to the junction box with a sheet metal screw - that one is ground right?I verified the flame sensor is putting out about 4 to 5 microamps when the burners are on. It was not intermittent, but very solid.The burners are lighting and stay on until after the house circulation blower turns on. At that point, and at random times, the gas is shut off by the controller. I've checked the limit switches, the pressure switches, etc. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the vent/flue - since that would have been affected by the new roof. The cap on the vent pipe is a different type than I've ever had before.
Oh, I'm getting an LED error code of #34. For a while today, I was getting #31, but now it's #34.