HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We had a neighborhood power outage 2 Fridays ago. When the…

Customer Question
Hi we had a...

Hi we had a neighborhood power outage 2 Fridays ago. When the power came back on a few hours later the AC did not blow cold. I called a company out but the guy was super shady didn't want to even look at the other things we wanted estimates for (clean coil bc it's been sucking in hot attic air from the small drywall around the supply that feel in from condensation on the copper pipe running from air handler to condenser thru the attic , etc) he put in a new capacitor and hard start to test and the compressor came on but he wanted 700$ when I told him if already ordered a replacement capacitor on Amazon for 9.61$ & the hard start was 15$& takes 5 mins to install both. We declined when he woukdn t troubleshoot further or say how long it would last. Well when he left (with old capacitor in and no hard start) the AC came on and blew cold for 24hrs or so then stopped again it wouldn't go below 78. I installed a hard start and it ran for a bit but still wouldn't cool right. Now it won't blow cold at all. I was told a few yrs ago that the contactor needed to be replaced. I tried cleaning the pads and saw it is pitted on one side of the contactor pad, I hear a slight buzzing from the contactor now also. I replaced both capacitors and thoroughly cleaned the outdoor unit and indoor coil. Only other issue is our thermostat has gone blank a few times recently including during that time, I changed the batteries, it looks like one leaked bc ther es corrosion on terminals. Now another AC guy says he tested and since the line on the contactor to compressor spikes to 68 that the compressor is dead and we should let him install a 2006 trane donde sir he has in back of his truck that he took from a job last week where the lady replaced inside and out. I kept asking if a mismatch system would be okay and he swears it will get us cold air today but I don't want a shoddy job that breaks again in a week. He quoted 400$ to install the used condenser, repair ceiling inside and cut out/pull& clean coil inside (this was before I cleaned it also) & reinsulate the line going thru attic. Frankly he seemed shady. Also our condenser we had the whole system installed in 2004..payne heat pump it says max amps 25 the trans says max 30..some other differences also and the trane is a 3 ton while our system is 2.5ton. He says that is fine. We are in a settlement on the home and moving in 3 months so don't want to put a ton $ in at this point. Could the. Contactor and or thermostat have been fried by the storm? Is there any other alternative and is his suggestion a good idea? He wasn't very thorough either and appears to sub for an had company as he says he can only come after work/430pm.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I do hear a slight increase then decrease in power to the condenser like the compressor or something is getting a signal to come on then doesn't. I replace the fan motor in June 2014 myself and the blower motor and squirrel cage the same time the thermostat is over 10yrs old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

There's no filter in currently and the thermostat comes and goes it flashes cool on and I changed the settings tried turning it off 24hrs etc this has been ongoing 1 week

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If I can do the work I will otherwise I'll go with the had guy unless you think he sounds shady I'd rather call another one if so

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/3/2018
HVAC Technician: Bill, HVAC Technician replied 3 months ago
Bill
Bill, HVAC Technician

I apologize for the delay. Do you still need assistance?

Bill

the guy tested and showed me.that the contactor has 240 on both sides and then tested the compressor and it spiked at 86 amps which meant it was dead bc the LEA is 73

I agree the compressor is locked/bad.

What concerns me is the 3 ton outdoor and the 2.5 ton indoor. It is ok to have a larger unit inside, but not outside. His price is exceptionally good....but the unit for replacement I am not comfortable with.

While the price is good I fear it would be lost money. Best case scenario is the unit works ok with a undercharge in it but will be problematic. I know you would like to get fixed, but I would recommend having another contractor look at it...OR have him replace both the indoor and outdoor unit