HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Our Mendota FV44i insert remote will no longer pay attention…

Customer Question
Hi. Our Mendota...

Hi. Our Mendota FV44i insert remote will no longer pay attention to either our commands or transmit to the insert. We've replaced the batteries and when a button on the remote is pressed, the transmitting symbol shows up. Is there a reset on the remote?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

The last 2 months or so, the temperature control on the remote allowed the fireplace to get hotter than the requested temperature and would not shut the unit off. We set it to 70 degrees and the temp got up to 78 before we shut it off ourselves. Within the last 2 weeks the remote has been losing features. Today, the remote was locked and unable to be unlocked. I had to pull the power to shut it off.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what type of fireplace is this?

Stone, retrofitted with a Mendota FV44i insert, with a Proflame 2 remote.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

The fireplace is less than a year old. Isn't the (expensive) unit guaranteed for at least that long? If I can do something simple, it would be nice to get it working today. If your fix requires disassembly of the side guards, I won't do it.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Like what?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
4/1/2018
HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 3 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

You may need to re-sync the remote to the receiver in the fireplace. Usually there is a small reset hole that allows this. Recommend following the procedure in the manual and hopefully that will get everything back working normal.

The reset button, when pushed, makes no difference in remote or insert operation. I suspect that the remote is the culprit. Is there a reset on the remote besides removing the batteries?
Response, please

No reset on the remote, only the receiver has a PRG button. Do you need a copy of the manual for reference to make sure the necessary steps are followed?

Thank you, ***** ***** a copy. I feel there is a chance that we now have a defective Mendota component, regardless of the quality of the product.

You are most welcome...

It is possible as I get a lot of fireplace and stove questions and am surprised by the number of them that seem to go bad with limited replacement options.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

Just following up as to whether this information was helpful in answering your question, or do you still need assistance? Please let me know by replying in the box below.

Thanks

Dave

Hello...

I would appreciate it if you could take a few moments to rate the service I provided, rather than close out the question without a rating. All experts do not receive credit until a rating has been posted by the customer.

Thanks for understanding,

Dave