HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Copeland CR53KQE-PFV-970 COMPRESSOR ISSUES. COMPRESSOR OHMS…

Customer Question
Copeland CR53KQE-PFV-970 COMPRESSOR ISSUES...

Copeland CR53KQE-PFV-970 COMPRESSOR ISSUES. COMPRESSOR OHMS ; C/S 2.5, S/R 3.1, C/R .7. 239 VOLTS. CONTACTOR KICKS IN AND COMPRESSOR DOES NOT START [CAP CHECKS OK BUT CHANGED ANYWAY]. SOMETIMES KICKS INTERNAL OL ON COMMON BUT KICKS RIGHT BACK AFTER SHUT DOWN AND OHM RE CHECK. SOMETIMES DOES NOT KICK OL. UPON ATTEMPT TO START PULLS 51 AMP BUT DROPS IMMEDIATELY TO 10A AND QUICKLY TO .7 A.INITIAL DIAGNOSIS IS BAD 4 MONTH OLD COMPRESSOR. TWO HOURS +- owner of walkin cooler turns power on, unit starts and cools room rather quickly to 38 deg. ??? VOLTAGE CHECKED AT COMP. TERMINALS 239V.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

T- STAT NA, CONTACTOR KICKS IN. NO FILTERS IN WALKIN COOLER.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

DID MOST OF CKS ALREADY. WANT TO KNOW ABOUT COMPRESSOR ISSUES. THIS ACTS LIKE POWER TOOL OR MOTOR WITH BAD SPOT IN ARMATURE. STARTS SOMETIMES NOT OTHERS. NEVER HAD COMPRESSOR DO THAT.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

ONLY WHAT COULD CAUSE COMPRESSOR TO DO THIS. WEEKENDS ARE BAD TIME TO CALL COPELAND .

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: HVAC
4/1/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 19 days ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, your ohm readings are off, most likely because of poor contact at the test probes, however if those are good ohm readings they are off ( C/S 2.5, S/R 3.1, C/R .7. 239 )

.

c/s and c/r should add up to the r/s reading... if that is not the case, then there is something wrong with one of the motor windings, and that would be the problem.

.

Double check those ohm readings,

,

The drop to 10 amps then .7 amps points directly to partially shorted windings... so in this case the compressor almost certainly bad, except that when the owner turned the system it ran and cooled properly... all of this taken together points to metering errors on your end,...

.... OR possibly a faulity 240volt power switch problem Make sure the 240v is constant,

.

A note about metering errors: I have been in the business for 58 years, I make metering errors all the time, and that is why I always keep taking measurements until I get constant and stable readings ...I never take one measurement and assume its correct. Problems revolve around poor contact with the test probes.

.

Having said all of this ... it is easily possible that you are correct and the problem is intermittent motor winding problems inside the compressor,

.

Triple check all of this, stay in touch without any time limits

.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
c/s 2.5 + c/r .7 = 3.2. s/r = 3.1 seems ok. I think we should ck all [ not many] elect connections and bypass or replace contactor although cu fans run may not have good enough contact for compressor. we did have constant power at compressor terminals but 239v reading doesnt always mean you have power, just volts if you know what I mean.
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 18 days ago

Hello, your thinking is good on the contactor contacts passing some trace voltage, however if that were the case the fan motor would not be running, its till possible but its a real long shot.

.

you should measure the amp draw on each leg of the compressor wiring when its trying to start...use a clamp around type amp meter,

$50 for a cheap one at a big box store ,$25 at harbor freight, about $140 for the lowest priice Fluke a rugged almost indestructible instrument.

.

click here for some pictures

Keep working with it, eventually you will discover whats going on. Stay in touch,

.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer