HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My Carrier model#fx4dnf037 Blower motor will not shut off…

Customer Question
My Carrier model#fx4dnf037 Blower...

My Carrier model#fx4dnf037 Blower motor will not shut off even with the thermostat removed. I do not see a blower relay switch, seen this before?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Not thermostat, I have a new one

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/30/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 5 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, it is most likely that the printed circuit board is bad and needs to be replaced, 98% chance of that..

.

To get a closer estimate with some diagnosis

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible!
I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

As you can see there is no circuit board. That sticker appears to say I need a new Blower motor. Hopefully not

Thanks

click here please, remove the brown wire from that motor terminal, if the blower motor keeps running then its built in electronics needs to be replaced.... in this case the entire motor,

That design did not last long at all, getting parts could be nearly impossible at this point. A new furnace of that type sells wholesale for under $600 if we cannot find a motor you might want to go in that direction,

https://www.carrierenterprise.com/parts

try these folks also, we can go from there as needed until your entire situation is resolved

Removed brown wire and motor did not activate. What next?
Correction. I forgot to re-insert the fuse bar on the unit. With the brown wire removed the blower did indeed startup

Thanks. the relay inside that motor controller is stuck in the closed position, the entire controller will need to be replaced... in most cases its only sold attached to the motor, you will have to call those two parts outfits I linked to and ask them for a new motor controller for that model furnace,

Its not a common motor/ controller at all... lets see what they say