HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Got a Ameristar heat pump thats 2yrs old. motor is running…

Customer Question
got a Ameristar heat pump...
got a Ameristar heat pump thats 2yrs old. motor is running and fan is running but not producing heat. unit is making a very loud noise.... i mean loud! has been doing this for a couple months and sometimes stops and works normal after doing it when first starting. noticed when its raining it continues to do it when the unit comes on. any ideas??
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/29/2018
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 3 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Is the noise coming from compressor.

Turn off the outside unit at the breaker. Restart and see if compressor makes noise. Those units have a scroll compressor and sometimes they will run backwards if power is umped. They will make a rattling noise and not heat or cool. Russ

i don't know.... trying to upload a video for ya

Ok I will wait for it. Thanks

cant get it to upload... file too big

Ok. Is it rattle sound. Russ

done that 20 times
i don't know... sounds like it... my whole purpose of getting on here was to send a vid... can't do it but, i'm still trying

I will opt for another Expert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt0sQSUcrg0
see if you can see it now
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, that sounds like it could be the fan hitting some loose wiring... stop the unit, and use a towel to jam the fan blade and restart the unit after you wait 5 minutes, if the noise ceases, its something hitting the fan blade.... if the sound persists, its a compressor problem and we can dig into it.

DO NOT LET THE UNIT RUN MORE THAN 5 SECONDS WITH THE FAN JAMMED... THAT IS A BRIEF TEST ONLY.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

not putting out any heat though
still doing it

Thanks, ***** ***** still making that noise with fan blade not spinning, then the problem is with the compressor, compressor in that case is most likely bad (95%)... OR 5% chance running backwards.. very unusual on a single phase system.

.

If you have a clamp around amp meter, and a set of refrigeration service gauges I can coach you on a further diagnosis. If not, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city and I will see if I can locate a well rated service outfit for you.

.

We can go from there without any time limits

is it possible that the run cap is only hitting half charge??
when it's dry outside it only does it when its starts for about 5-10sec.... now that it has been raining it continues to do it the whole time it's on...
i did meter the cap

Run capacitors generally fail like light bulbs, suddenly and completely, rarely they get weak, but this will not cause the compressor to run backwards.

If you measure its microfarad rating and its more than 10% low, you can try replacing it, its a bit of a long shot though (one chance in 50)

it was pretty much on the money
what about the moisture though... don't ya think it's a lil odd??

WHere is the moisture exactly?

outside raining..air

Rain will not cause these sorts of problems

Well for some reason it stops making the racket when it quits raining... and continued to do it when it’s rainy.... been doing it for 2 months

Thanks, that much noise caused by rain is unusual, I have never seen that sort of noise caused by rain before in my 58 years in the business.

.

From your earlier comment, it cal also make that noise when its not raining, so rain would not be the cause, Look for some loose wire under the fan blades that might be hitting the blade.

no longer raining.... check this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASmlZJjbl4g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASmlZJjbI4g

Thanks, ***** ***** an intermittent problem that has nothing whatever to do with the rain, or its rain noise, So far I do not think its rain noise,

Is the unit heating or cooling? Feel the largest copper tube (3/4" in diameter insulated) tell me if its cool or hot

We can go from there

It is heating and blowing warm air out of the furnace the line is warm

The line should be hot in heating mode, not just warm... try it in cooling mode for an hour and tell me if the line gets cool or sweats..... if it does not get cool enough to sweat then there is a problem with the compressor or its low on refrigerant, keep an eye on it regarding the noise, and stay in touch,

.

Its time to rate my input for the day, that gets me paid, locate the "finish and rate your expert" link near the top of the page and click on it. I will appreciate that very much.

I am in every day from 9 am to 11 pm west coast USA time to do any follow up, including coaching, training and repair advice as needed.