HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a 2 family house with an upstairs 2 br apartment with…

Customer Question
I have a 2 family...
I have a 2 family house with an upstairs 2 br apartment with central AC. I have had the AC unit tested and filled with Freon or whatever gas is used. I have had the AC air temp checked, had an energy audit and insulation sprayed 16 inches thick in the attic. I live in NY where it doesn't get that hot in the summer but this apartment will not go below 80 degrees during the day even with the AC running for 3 days straight. What else can I do to cool it down? Thanks
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: HVAC
3/29/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 26 days ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, Assuming the AC is anywhere near large enough, it has one or more of the following problems:

1. Too much refrigerant in it, the charge is critical to one or two ounces of refrigerant...if you wish and want to open the outside unit up, I can coach you on how to check that.

.

2. Low on refrigerant because of a leak, or very dirty condenser or evaporator coil.

.

3. Air duct work has come loose in the attic or under the house.

Poke a thermometer into one of the cold air outlets, and tell me what it reads, then use the *same thermometer to measure the room temperature, I can tell a lot from those readings.

.

Tell me a lot about your skill sets, we can go from there.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer