HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Lennox 2-zone system in my house, less than 6 years…

Customer Question
HI. I have a...

HI. I have a Lennox 2-zone system in my house, less than 6 years old. For the last few months, when I turn on the heater in zone 1 (downstairs), hot air also blows out the INTAKE vent in zone 2 (upstairs). No work of any kind was done in the house, and no ducting was disturbed. What could it be?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filters are a month old. Thermostats were both set on heat. Both zones were set at 67, but because of the hot air blowing out the intake vent in zone 2, temp there reached 77 without the heater in zone 2 ever working.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well, I don't know what's causing this. That's why I am here asking questions.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, that's it. I pretty much described the issue.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/29/2018
HVAC Technician: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 3 months ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
I still need assistance with my question. I was hoping for a quicker response from your experts.
HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 3 months ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I am Gaztech1, a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

I think there might be a section of duct from both zones that are over laping and air is transfering somehow fron a loose or dislodged duct joint or panel.

Onsite visual inspection will be required to locate problem area.

Hello again. My house is less than 6 years old. Until a couple of months ago the HVAC system worked flawlessly. No work of any kind was done at my house, so no air ducts could have been moved or dislodged. I am guessing something is malfunctioning internally, and I was hoping one of your experts could have an idea what it could be.

That is a job that needs onsite inspection. I will let the question open for other technician....

Best regards ***** ***** luck..

Gaztech1