Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I purchased a residential water heater 40 gal. and the

Customer Question

I purchased a residential water heater 40 gal. and the pressure valve lets a couple of oz. of water release. I read the instrustions about thermal expansion but as you might imagine the is limited space for additional expansion tanks. I have installed dozens of water heaters over the years and I have never needed this equip. the instruct. suggest there are other options, but I should take it to my codes admin. or a plumber. Will you offer some help along these lines?
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: I just installed a couple of days ago and the release is only a couple of OZ.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I was a general contractor for 38 years and I should be able to do this,
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

A thermal expansion tank for a 40 gallon water heater is pretty small and by far the most reliable option. Since pressure equalizes throughout the water piping you can install it just about anywhere on a cold water line. But closer to the tank is better.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I understand the reasoning behind the expansion tank, what I need form you is there any other options?
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Some jurisdictions allow an expansion valve but they are not reliable over the long haul. They tend to leak after a while under normal pressure. You also need some place for the discharge to drain. Unless you're in an area that never sees freezing temps that means a properly trapped drain standpipe or sink. Expansion valves are far more expensive to install.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not satisfied with you ansewer I would like a refund, how do I do that.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

I can't offer you an option that doesn't exist. Sorry you don't like the choices. I'll let customer service know you want a refund.