HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an Apollo 5010 water heater and the pilot keeps

I have an Apollo...

I have an Apollo 5010 water heater and the pilot keeps shutting down. The repair person cannot get parts anywhere including the manufacture because it is too old. Please advise, thank you

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

For three weeks. The technician has been here four times. But as soon as he leaves and the water heater finishes its cycle, it shut off the pilot. It is propane that we use to heat the water.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We sold the house and we have a month to repai this.

3/26/2018
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Does the unit have a sealed combustion chamber? Has the thermocouple been changed? Can you give ma a picture of the gas control valve?

Click on the link below for info on posting pics here

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I click to add the pics but it will not let me do it.

This unit has an after market power venter. I need to see the top of the tank where the exhaust vent starts.

I sent you the photos. They cannot find parts for the controller since it is more than 20 years old.
I just sent you more pics from the top of the tank.
IMG_1379.jpgIMG_1379.jpgIMG_1378.jpgIMG_1378.jpgIMG_1383.jpgIMG_1383.jpgIMG_1382.jpgIMG_1382.jpgIMG_1381.jpgIMG_1381.jpg

Do you relight the pilot or does your plumber do it?

I relight the pilot every time I want more hot water. The tank has the ability to keep water hot for a long time.

Is the pilot flame strong?

YES!

This type gas control valve is still available just not this identical model. The power venter controls do not affect the pilot the way this unit is configured.

YES!
Would it work gas control valve in this old model?

Your posts are difficult to follow since you keep re-posting old responses. Here's a link to one option. There are many and they are available locally anywhere at any plumbing supply house. You don't have to get one mail order. Yes it is compatible with your unit
https://www.supplyhouse.com/White-Rodgers-37C73U-172-Water-Heater-Gas-Valve-Control-Nat-Gas-2-1-4-Shank

YES!
Would it work gas control valve in this old model?It is the way your system lets me post. There is only one box that I can respond to you. Thank you for the information and have a great day.

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
The valve he suggested was for gas and no propane. It will not work. I have to replace the entire tank. Thank you

The same valve is also available for propane. You made no mention of the gas type until now.

They are going to replace the tank. Thank you
Can you send me a link to the propane valve. Thank you

These valves are available locally at any plumbing supply house. The valve is identical except that it's set up for propane.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Robertshaw-110-265-LP-Gas-Water-Heater-Valve-Uni-Kit-w-1-1-4-Shank-100-000-BTU

Thank you.