HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Goodman furnace. And it's continually blinking.. I…

I have a Goodman...

I have a Goodman furnace. And it's continually blinking.. I was wondering how does it reverse polarity?....

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I live to far out of town.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just my light suggests reversed polarity.

3/26/2018
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician

Hi, I'm Brian and I'll be happy to help with this.

If you haven't had any other electrical problems or electrical work done on your home lately and this problem crept up out of nowhere, it's more likely you have a poor connection somewhere in either the neutral line somewhere in the furnace circuit (internal OR external to the furnace) OR, you have a loose, poor or corroded ground connection within or external to the furnace. This can cause the reverse polarity issue too. The voltage to neutral/ground is looked at as a reference for this in the microprocessor.

I have no work done. So check ground wires

Yes, I would turn off power to the furnace and check ALL wiring connections withing the furnace, paying special attention to the ground wires and the incoming neutral connection(s). Make sure you check the how the furnace control board is grounded to the furnace chassis and make sure it's a clean tight connection!

Ok. Can I check back with you after

Yes you certainly can! Please bear with a slow response as I may be assisting other customers at the time you respond.

Thanks and be cautious!

Brian

Could the problem be in the thermostat?

That is not likely with the reverse polarity issue. You could try disconnecting all wires at the thermostat, tying together the wires that were connected to R and W then cycling the power to the furnace off then on to reset it and see what happens but it's rarely ever a thermostat issue with the reverse polarity fault code. It's generally always a loose or bad wiring connection of ground or neutral in the furnace or a failed furnace control board.

Spoke to a tech. He was suggesting it could be the igniter. And that it was $90. And very fragile.

Yes, hot surface ignitors are very fragile for sure! Especially after they've been in use. Yes, if the ignitor has failed and is in a ground fault, it could throw that fault too.

Well. Now I know the problem. I found little metal parts under the igniter. Question? The spots where the sensor and igniter are. Can they be switched around. It would be easier to instal igniter?

Ah, yes there's your ground fault! I've never switched the two around on any furnace. What's the full model number of yours, let me have a look at the service manual and I'll have a closer look.

You could also likely get a HSI ignitor online much cheaper than $90. With the model number I can see if I can source that for you too.

GoodMan model GMS8 0903BNAA motor 1/3hp

Thanks, ***** ***** see what I can find for you. Thanks for your patience!

Ok I can see why you'd want to swap places but I wouldn't recommend it. You just have to be careful when you insert the HSI, I've done this one and it's not that tough. I would recommend replacing the flame sensor at the same time anyway. The Ignitor is Goodman P/N 20165703 and Click Here for a good price for it. The flame rod is Goodman P/N B1172606 and Click Here for a good price for that item. You can find both these parts all over the internet, I just found those with a cursory search for the lowest price. Sears was much more expensive for the flame rod.

Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Thank you. You are awesome. Cheers!

You're very welcome! Thanks for the great rating! Best of luck and have a great night!

Best regards,

Brian