HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Have a carrier furnace, the pilot light is on. The burners…

Customer Question
Hi, have a carrier...

Hi, have a carrier furnace, the pilot light is on. The burners used to come on & off on their own (not in response to the Thermostat). Then they stopped responding all together.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Not sure. Started as a HVAC problem about four weeks ago. The burners were not combining on. Then I removed the filter and generally fiddled with the furnace (opened both the doors) etc and it started working properly not again it has stopped. I replaced the filter and the batteries in the thermostat... but no good

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is something DYI.. like replacing the thermostat etc

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It is a Carrier 394JAW furnace

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: HVAC
3/26/2018
HVAC Technician: Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician replied 27 days ago
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician

Hi, I'm Brian and I'll be happy to help you with this issue.

Can you tell me the make and model number of your thermostat please?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It says White Rodgers Type 1F80-51 (17 to 30 volts max)

Ok, thanks for that. Probably the easiest way to tell if it's a furnace problem or a thermostat problem is to disconnect the wires connected to R and W on the thermostat and connect them together. This bypasses the thermostat. If the furnace runs fine every time you connect those two wires together then your problem is in your thermostat. If the problem remains, it's in your furnace and it may be best to get a trained tech in to have a look as there are many things that can cause this issue within a furnace and it can be a difficult issue to find.

Let me know if you have questions about the recommended wiring test.

Thanks,

Brian

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Do the green & blue wires connect to each other on a single screw in the thermostat? As soon as I started disconnecting, the two wires touched to each other and the furnace started... Checking if I need to really connect them to each other

I can't be sure of the color of wires and what they do as there is no standard code. The wire connected to R on the thermostat and the wire connected to W on the thermostat are the ones that when tied together turn your furnace on. Those are usually red and white but not always. Go by the terminal they are connected to, not the color! With the fact that you got any reaction from the furnace by messing around near the thermostat wiring is very telling though. Sounds like maybe your problem is at the thermostat. A picture is worth a thousand (typed) words here and you can upload any appropriate pictures you take with the "Attach Files" button next to the send button in your reply dialog window!

Thanks for the picture! The green wire should be on the G terminal below the R terminal. IF you remove the White wire from W and connect it to either the RC or RH terminals or directly to the Red wire (the R terminals are also the ones with the blue jumper from Rc to Rh). It's easiest to just pull disconnect the white wire and touch the bare end to either the RH or RC terminals without disconnecting the red wire.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Shorted White & Red - Burners come on for 3-4 seconds.. go off

The burner goes off while the red and white are still connected? If so, then the problem is not in your thermostat but in your furnace itself. These symptoms usually point to a flame fail condition which many time is due to a dirty flame sensing rod. There are a few other things it could be though but if the burner shuts off while the red and white are shorted together, the problem is definitely in your furnace.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Is replacing the flame sensing rod DYI project or needs a technician?

Let me see if I can pull up the service manual on your furnace and see what's what. Sometimes the flame rod is a very easy replacement while other times it's best left to a pro. I'll be back shortly with an better answer to that question.

Ok, I had to do a little searching as I had a feeling your furnace was the one I thought it was. It's been a long time but I worked on quite a few of those models (and ones very similar). They are a bit of a strange bird with electromechanical controls but with flame rectification. I would say your best bet would be to have a tech come in and look at it. It's not a simple furnace to diagnose and repair and you could easily end up changing a lot of parts in an effort to find the culprit(s). I wish I had better news for you but I just want to be straight with you!

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
ok thanks..

You're very welcome! Thanks for using Just Answer.

Best regards,

Brian

Click Here for your picture with an annotation showing the flame rod. You don't have to sign up for Dropbox, just click the view now button at the bottom.

Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician