HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Only please. If I am checking the Schrader valve on an

This question is for Phil...
This question is for Phil only please.If I am checking the Schrader valve on an outside condenser, what should I use to check to see for leaked?Bubble soap or some specialty oil?
3/26/2018
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, the liquid leak detecting solutions work, but have water in them and that can enter the system and cause problems, Oil will not bubble where there is a leak.

.

So I just put a thin film of my saliva on that tip of my finger and press that lightly over the end of the valve and look for bubbles, the spit will bubble if there is a leak. OR you can use an electronic leak detector or halide torch leak detector, but those will very often show a leak because of residual refrigerant inside the valve stem, where there is actually no leak.

.

So use a thin film of your saliva, it will come away from the valve stem then you remove your finger, without fill the valve stem.

.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer