HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have *** thermostat that went dark Had to all pipes water…

Customer Question
I have *** thermostat...

I have *** thermostat that went dark Had to all pipes water heater installed. On top of a couple of trips to the hospital. Great week.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Thermostat, but you are the man who knows things, what do you think?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Had was inspected last year.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: HVAC
3/25/2018
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 26 days ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

What likely happened is the low voltage fuse in the furnace or airhandler blew. There typically is a SLOT STYLE 3-5AMP FUSE on the board itself inside the furnace/airhandler like this.

CLICK HERE IMAGE

If that is burned out all power to the thermostat will be lost. 95% of all units use some sort of SLOT FUSE or inline BUS STYLE FUSE to protect the low voltage circuit. You need to find that and change it out. If you just bump two wires together you could have just popped it without even knowing it. Now if for some reason your unit does not use a fuse often the board will be damaged due to the short. You would need to confirm you have 24 volts to the board inside the furnace/airhandler with a volt meter to make sure though.

Note if you have a condensate pump check the float and make sure the pump is not full of water...as that could cut low voltage power to the unit as well if the pump is not working and full of water.

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH