HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My boiler is not lighting. I can see that the pilot is

Customer Question
My boiler is not...

My boiler is not lighting. I can see that the pilot is burning. I have tried switching power off, and the system makes a noise like it is trying to light but does not. Noticed this this am as I was changing batteries in thermostat. What next?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I don't suspect the thermostat.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Our local boiler expert retired a couple of years back, so, yes, I'll be doing the work.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so, Weil McLean gas boiler, is about 20 years old.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 3 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

What's the boiler model?

I'll have to get that for you, hang on......

ok

It is EG, for water, fired by natural gas.

Does it have a vent damper? do you have a multi-meter to do some voltage testing?

Ok, first thing to check is the spill switch which is attached to the open bottom draft diverter just below the damper. Push the small button between the leads. If it clicks you have reset it. If it doesn't click it wasn't tripped.

I have the cover off vent damper, what shall I test?
Only button I see will not move. There is a 2pos switch on the side that I moved to other position.

That's not what I said. I said BELOW the damper on the draft diverter. Look for the 2 wires to it which are separate from the damper wiring

There is nothing below the damper.

If you have a damper you have a spill switch. I need pictures of the damper and what's below it as well as all the controls.

Click on the link below for info on posting pics here

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Again! BELOW the damper NOT ON THE DAMPER! Back up, give me a much wider angle

Ok, the spill switch is attached to that sheet metal box with the open bottom below the damper. Check the other side

There is nothing on the other side, no wiring, switch. Just sheet metal.

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.