HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My brother-in-law has a Lennox Model L211407CC thermostat.

My brother-in-law has a...

My brother-in-law has a Lennox Model L211407CC thermostat. He can adjust the temp fine but it will not remember the programming, date and time. He has cancer and I am trying to help out.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Thermostat.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That should be everything you need. It was working a week ago and someone was in the a His furnace is in a closet in the garage, his thermostat is in a hallway in the other end of his house. The thermostat cable runs into the wall behind the furnace, into and through the attic then down a wall to the thermostat. I suspect someone stepped on the cable in the attic but the a/c and heat work fine, just won't remember the day, time and programming. Might be the battery died?

3/25/2018
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician

Hi I'm Brian and I'll be happy to help with this.

That model thermostat has no internal battery to hold the time and program data. The program data should remain intact through a power failure because it is stored in NVRAM (non-volatile memory). After a power failure, the clock may or may not need to be reset depending on how long the power failure was.

I would suspect, if you just reprogram the time and date, the program data would still be intact and you should be able to run the stored program. If the program data is being lost at any time, there is a problem with the thermostat's memory circuit and unfortunately it would need to be replaced to ensure the program stays intact even during a power failure.

Let me know if you have questions about this.

Do you believe that the thermostat cable is ok and the thermostat itself is bad?

I have to believe the thermostat is fine since you can set it to a mode, adjust the temperature and the heating/cooling will work as you have stated. If there were a problem with the thermostat cable, something would not work (thermostat at all, fan, cooling or heating). Since you say all functions work except time/date and program data, it points more toward and issue with the thermostat, specifically because the program data is being lost, that should never be lost under normal operation or even a power failure whether just a blip or extended. A wiring issue should not affect program data being kept or not either.

I kind of said that wrong, I should have said "I have to believe the "wiring cable" is fine..."

Thanks for your help. Much easier to replace a thermostat than 70 feet of cable through walls and the attic.

Bot***** *****ne is if you reset the time and date and the program info is still gone and can't be saved, then there is an issue with the thermostat. I doubt very seriously there is a thermostat wire issue since everything works!

Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Thanks, ***** ***** great day.

Thanks for the great rating! I hope you have a great day too! Thanks for using Just Answer!

-Brian