HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

The fan works on my thermostat, but the screen is blank. I…

The fan works on...

The fan works on my White Rogers thermostat, but the screen is blank. I have changed the batteries, but wince the fan works, I doubt that is the problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I don't know.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'm not sure I'm able. What happened is the thermostat was stuck at 68 which is the usual setting I keep. When I tried to raise the temperature, it would not respond. There was a "battery" sign on the thermostat. I then changed the batteries, but then the screen went blank.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well, there was a black emblem on the lower right corner, but since I saw the battery sign, I did not look at the emblem closely.

3/25/2018
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I am Gaztech1, a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE when we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

Check terminals where bateries go, clean if corroded.

How can that be the problem since the thermostat turns down the fan.

Just to make sure there is good contact of batteries

Is thermostat powered by furnace and or just batteries?

1 don't know. I am checking terminals now.
That did not help

while you have t-stat appart, check if there is a wire on the C terminal.( 24v Com ) from furnace. if no C terminal or no wire on C term. means its battery powered only

There is a wire on both ends of the battery termnals

Not battery terminals, t-stat wiring terminals, like R, W, G, Y , C,

check if there is a wire on the C terminal.( 24v Com ) from furnace. if no C terminal or no wire on C term. means its battery powered only

Whats the verdic?

I thought this might be a simple fix, but I'm not sure that I can do this. I'm an 81yearold widow lady who likes to try to do things herself.

I see

T-stat will probably need to be replaced.

I think so too.

Did you still want to rate my assistance positive?

Thanks

Best regards

Gaztech1

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE if we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician