HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an older unit that I am not too familiar with. It is…

I have an older...

I have an older unit that I am not too familiar with. It is an Amana SPH030001A heat pump. It has an electrical enclosure mounted on the outside that has a numbered dial and a green and yellow lead coming from it. Does this have something to do with the defrosting cycle for the heat pump?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that dialed switch is connected in series with the green thermostat wire to the terminal block, nothing else makes any sense.

3/25/2018
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician

Hi I'm Brian and I'll be happy to help with this! Please bear with me while I type up my next response, I'm a tech not a typist! :)

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Okay

This sounds like it's what's called an "Outdoor Thermostat". This is a field installed device on a heat pump that prevents the backup auxiliary heat unit (usually electric strip heating in the air handing section or indoor unit) from coming on until the outdoor temperature gets below the setting on the dial. This is an energy saving accessory meant to ensure the auxiliary heat, which is much more expensive to run than the heat pump, can't be called to run until it gets cold enough where the heat pump itself may not be able to keep up.

Let me know if you have questions about this type of device or the normal operation of a heat pump.

Thanks,

Brian

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you sir. That sounds sensible to me.

And just to answer your exact question, if it is indeed an 'outdoor thermostat' no, it does not have any connection or control in the defrost cycle of the heat pump. If the installer wired things correctly, your electric heat should still be allowed to run even if the outdoor temperature is above the setting of the separate device and the electric heat should come on when the outdoor unit goes into defrost in an attempt to temper the cold air from coming into the house during the defrost cycle (reverse cycle or cooling mode).

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you. That was helpful.

If I have answered to your satisfaction, please remember to rate positively before leaving (3 stars or better) or if you have further questions, please follow up and I will do my best to answer them. Bonuses are welcome and always appreciated!

Thank you very much,

Brian

Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician