HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Magic Chef BT16KS-4 pilot light flame too small, need to…

Customer Question
Magic Chef BT16KS-4 pilot...

Magic Chef BT16KS-4 pilot light flame too small , need to increase the pilot light flame

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Magic Chef is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Very old Model BT16KS-4

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes just need to know how to increase the pilot light flame please

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No thanks just the pilot light flame needs to be increased / adjusted

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
AS I have stated the thermocouple is good, I just need to adjust the pilot light to increase the flame. Is there an adjustment screw with this old model? How can in increase the pilot light flame....one simple questions for an old model Magic Chef BT16KS-4
3/24/2018
HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 2 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Are you able to lift the top up to expose the burner and pilot lines?

I can lift the top. I read that there is supposed to be an adjustment screw on the knob but i do not see any screws. the pilot light will lite and stay on but the flame is too low to cause the thermocouple to turn the over on. if I hold a flame on the thermocouple the oven will ignite just fine. JUST Need to increase the pilot light flame. I have photos>>>

Yes please upload the photos. Also just to be clear are you wanting to increase the oven pilot or the stove top pilots?

only the oven pilot light please.

Okay... are you able to get any numbers off the thermostat?

Usually the pilot adjustment is on the rear of the thermostat, but it can also be on the front. If you remove the knob there may be the adjustment screw there. Note: it is not the 25 degree adjustment screw, it will say pilot.

no just the numbers I sent in the photo. I sent you a photo of the knob and I will go out and look for the adjustment screw again. you are referring to the control knob (photo i sent) that turns on the pilot and controls the oven temp?

Those numbers only refer to the stove not the thermostat. Magic Chef (Whirlpool) uses either a Robertshaw or Harper Wyman thermostat that has its own numbers. These thermostats usually have an adjustment and sometimes they are on the bottom (hard to reach) but I would need the numbers to reference the thermostat and the pilot adjustment.

I appreciate you trying to help, it is an older RV Trailer oven and there is no numbers on the thermostat or anything that could adjust the flow to the pilot flame. It must just have a static flow . I will probably need to take the line off and either clean teh line or replace the complete thermostat . I appreciate your attempts and I assume I will not be charged......or at least you can charge the $5 deposit because I do appreciate your trying ...thank you.

If no numbers no problem. The adjustment screw is easy to see, however looking at the thermostat I am not convinced the adjustment is on the thermostat (that was why I wanted the numbers so I could verify) before doing all that work look on the safety valve under the broiler plate. That is where the pilot thermocouple connects. The pilot height adjustment screw may be on the safety valve.

Also did you remove the knob and look on the front of the thermostat?

From everything I've researched and your photos, it appears the adjustment is in the front of the thermostat behind the knob.