HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a burnham boiler date on it is 2006, no sign of

Customer Question
I have a burnham...

I have a burnham boiler date on it is 2006, no sign of leakage but need to fill every 3-4 days.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About 2 months, changed steam vents in january only thing that has been done recently.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

What work, need to find out why I'm filling so often!

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Can hear what seems to be steam leaking but can not find it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/24/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 3 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Every 3 or 4 days could be small leaks like at the radiator valve stems. They would need to be repacked. Also possible is a leak in the boiler above the water line. Fire the boiler up to the point of building up some pressure then go check the exhaust. Do you see a lot of steam out the exhaust particularly after the burner shuts off?

No leaks at the radiator valve stems. repeated checking these. By exhaust what do you mean?

If it's vented into a chimney I mean where the chimney terminates.

no I do not want a call

Call prompt is automatic I have no control over it. We can continue here

Have not seen steam from chimney.
brick and mortar chimney 25 ft

Could be loss through return air vents. Same as before, build up pressure and check vents for steam leakage.

I can hear steam leaking when near one pipe at rear of boiler, no sign of leaking.
Boiler only generating about 5lbs of steam, but does not hold it.

You can't hear steam leaking. It's not possible. I don't know what you're hearing but it's not a leak. I've listed all the possibilities if there are no obvious signs of leakage. I'd suggest you try what I described earlier. 5 psi is too high for a residential system. The system should run at 1 to 3 psi max. If the burner shuts down it's normal for the pressure to drop. If it's not holding pressure then one of the things I mentioned earlier is the culprit

OK if it's not possible to hear steam leaking then it has to be very hot moist air being pressure forced out of somewhere just like a hearing steam engine not venting steam.
Please do not patronize me......I'm 72 yrs old and have been around for a bit! So I can tell the difference between steam leaking and a lot of hot air!

I'm not patronizing anybody. What I am doing is giving you the benefit of 40+ years of experience with steam systems. In 40+ years I have never seen (or heard) a steam leak above the water line except for the places I mentioned. The leak would have to be above the water line or you would see water.

The only other place steam could leak out would be the relief valve but that usually would be a large volume and very noticeable

Well for your information I did have a boiler fail with a steam leak on the top of the original boiler and it sounded just like a steam leak..............You need to go back and read your answers, in one sentence you said that you can not hear steam leaking. In another you can. In another sentence you state you have never heard of a leak above the water line, in the next you say that is where it is! You got your $28.00 Thank you, ***** ***** great day.

You need a plumber to check this out. You're not following what I'm saying and instead of asking for clarification you accuse me of contradicting myself where there is no contradiction. I got nothing out of this. You paid the site not me. I'll let them know you want a refund.