HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I Have a Rheem Split Package AC Unit. 4-ton RHLA HM4821JA.

Customer Question
I Have a Rheem...

I Have a Rheem Split Package AC Unit. 4-ton RHLA HM4821JA. Air handler blower runs continuously. No issues with thermostat or wiring. Motor runs even when control board is not connected

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filter is new. Blower runs with thermostat totally disconnected'

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to troubleshoot, narrow down and repair if basic

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/24/2018
HVAC Technician: hvacdave84, HVAC Technician replied 3 months ago
hvacdave84
hvacdave84, HVAC Technician
Hello. There are a few things to check. Have you checked to see if any of the furnaces limit switches are open? This would cause the blower to run as a safety precaution. If you check the limits and find a tripped rollout switch, evaluation by a licensed professional will be necessary as the heat exchanger could be compromised. If the heat is running ok and the blower still won’t stop it sounds as if the relay that powers the motor is failed in the closed position. If the blower is wired directly into the control board, a new board will be needed. If it is powered by a contractor, check to make sure the contractor is not stuck closed
I have been out of town and unable to check the limit switch(es). The Heating and Cooling both appear to cycle correctly. The Blower runs appropriately during those cycles but seems to operate randomly in between the heating or colling cycles. The X13 blower motor is connected directly to line voltage (230 V) and is controlled by 24 Volt from a control board.I swapped the control board with a new one and still have the same issue with the blower motor. I will have an opportunity to check the limit switches this weekend.
Got home early and did some testing. I was able to check the limit switches. They are closed and register 0 ohms resistance. I unplugged the heater terminal PL1 on the control board and blower fan still runs. The board is not giving 24v output to turn on fan. I disconnected the low voltage (control) wires from the control board to the X13 motor and blower still runs. I checked the low voltage taps on the X13 motor and there is 0 voltage. What other items should I check? I believe I have traced it back to the X13 motor or motor control module....
If there is no 24v control input to the x13 control wiring and the motor still runs then the control module on the lead end of the motor is failing. If you are sure that the motor is an X13, there are many aftermarket options, that are made to be used in a wide array of applications. The Emerson rescue line of motors is one example (make sure you’re getting an x13 replacement) I personally have had good luck with the Mars Azure Digimotor. I believe evergreen has an x13 product as well.
This is an X13. No other issues could be at the heart of it. If you remove control wiring completely and the motor still runs, the control module on the motor is failing.
GE • Genteq Evergreen 3/4 HP 230 Volt Replacement X-13 Furnace Blower MotorIf you search this ^^^ you should be able to find a suitable replacement
Can the control module be repaired? Do I replace the entire control module or do I need to replace the whole motor?
In order to replace the control module, you would have to contact a Rheem dealer in your area and have it ordered. The X13 replacements, as long as the HP and Voltage are compatible, would be a sufficient repair option that could possibly be more cost effective than having the OEM motor control module replaced