HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My honeywell wall thermostat information window is blank and…

Customer Question
My honeywell wall thermostat...

My honeywell wall thermostat information window is blank and I cannot set the heat control after changing the two AAA batteries.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The setting on the wall unit read 71 degrees about one hour ago. I set reset the unit back to 70 and pressed the "hold" button and then the temp started flashing, and the time setting went back to 12:00/. Well, my wife just pressed hard on the face plate, and we now have a temperature display, however the heater ;is not coming on. We set it up to 77 degrees and the heat will not come on.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have replaced the batteries previously without any problem. I was not given any instruction booklet when it the system was installed 18 years ago, so I only have my instinct. The time flashing on the screen indicates 12:05. so not sure if that is the indicated time furnace will "kick in" or merely the time that the clock began once power was reactivated.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not sure what else I can say. I was told to switch the thermostat to "off" position before changing batteries, which I did. I replaced old batteries with 2 new AAA batteries. and as said in last statement, the information screen did eventually come back with input, however, the furnace has not come on and it was set at 78 degrees and has not dropped to 72 since we have been chatting, but still no heat.

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/24/2018
HVAC Technician: hvacdave84, HVAC Technician replied 29 days ago
hvacdave84
hvacdave84, HVAC Technician
Hello. It sounds as if the furnace is locked out . Try removing power from the furnace for a few seconds and restoring it (switch, breaker, etc) this should reset the control board and allow the furnace to initiate a heat cycle. If it locks out again, further troubleshooting of the furnace may be needed.
hvacdave84
hvacdave84
hvacdave84, HVAC Technician