HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I just installed a Honeywell RTH9585 wifi thermostat for my…

I just installed a Honeywell...
I just installed a Honeywell RTH9585 wifi thermostat for my heat pump. I can get the fan to work but not the heat and cooling
3/23/2018
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, you have it wired incorectly, with heat pumps it can be complex, I need to know the brand and model number of the old thermostat and which color wire was attached to each terminal, and the same information on how you wired the new thermostat,

We can go from there

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
I marked all the wires from the old to the new. I had 5 wires R (hot), Blue (O), Y (compressor, G (Fan), and C (common). The compressor/Y was also connected to the W terminal on the old thermostat. On new thermostat there's a terminal W-O/B which I put the Blue wire into.
Do I need to connect the Yellow to the W-O/B also?
the old thermostat was a Braeburn 1000. The C wire from the heat pump was not connected since the Braeburn ran off of batteries.
Phone call session started

nice talking on the phone

I am parking the braeburn thermostat manual here in case we need it later

Good luck with it, see you tomorrow if you have any problems.,

We need to jumper Y to W... but ONLY at the thermostat, not at the terminal strips inside the furnace

connect Y at the thermostat to Y at furnace terminal strip, depending on how the system is wired, if that fails, move the yellow wire from Y to W at the thermostat terminal strip inside the furnace